The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Digital SLR's?

Green Peace

We have a canon one at work and used it all day at a wedding. Loved it! Great features, quick, amazing pics. Highly recommend it.

Thanks ..I am torn between Canon and Nikon..Canon is 8 megapixels and the Nikon is 6.1 or something..but someone told me that the Nikon was better in some ways and that the chip was better qaulity..I did have my heart set on the Canon due to the high pixel rate!

Also I was told the D70 has some kind of Flash exposure compensation feature that delivers better pictures at night...but im totally confused!!! he he.

Si

:drown:

I looked at those but have decided to wait for the Panasonic FZ30 to come out because it's a little cheaper and has a few features I'm looking for - unfortunately it doesn't appear until mid September :(

You've picked three of the best in the price range, at the end of the day I suspect it will come down to specific features and the price of any extras you might want later.

http://www.dpreview.com are likely to have a comparison of all your favourites and are very honest in their reviews.

For starters:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page19.asp

I'll be interested to hear how you get on, I'm still not 100% on my choice :)

Can't comment on the Nikon I'm afraid. All I know is the canon made me look like a star!

Ahhh well thats sold then he he.

Sounds good..I just read a Canon vs Nikon arguement on a photography forum..and its tired me out :blahblah:

I think in Summery that its saying (In Photography language) that the Canon 350D is better for making bigger prints due to pixel size but the Nikon D50 is easier to use and is more than excellent for upto 12 x 8's...they seem to go into great detail about the manufacturing process of the chip in the camera...thats when i fell asleep...

Oh bollox...I'll just get the Canon and be done with it then...

I want an easy life!

:p :giveup:

Thanks Michael and Ant...yeah I checked Dpreview out and it made me even more unsure of my choice.

I did find this comparison arguement between the 350D, D70 and D50 but I wish they would translate it into English he he.(but might be useful to check out if you are not sure either) but to be honest I'm even more confused..but def now between D50 and 350D though.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=532892

350d every time if you are looking to do some motorsport / fast moving photography. It has a 14 frame buffer and can take 3 shots a second, but if you buy a fast CF card it will happily take 3 fps until the card is full.

Thats with it set to its highest jpeg setting, raw mode will slow it once its reached its buffer.

Ive had mine a week or so now and I love it.

I bought a 350D about 3 months ago.

To be honest, I came down to a similar choice, Nikon D70 or 350D.

In the end, there wasn't much to choose between them. Have you handled both of them yet? That can be important if you can't decide on the technical features of the two. I couldn't believe how much smaller and lighter the canon was. And as I was going to have it slung around my neck for a few hours at a time at Le Mans in June, that alone made my mind up.

I also bought a 70-300 zoom lens with image stability. You can get bonkers pics at distance! Look at these:

(Resolution reduced to be able to post them, but you'll get the idea!)

Wow...thats a great shot Soop Dogg...ok I think I'll do the 'Right' thing and aim for the Canon... :ecstatic:

How much was the 70-300mm lens?...

Si

:innocent:

It's ok for a car that's doing over 150mph! I was pleased with it.

The lens with the image Stability systemwasabout £360. You can get one without the IS system on it for about £160. I tried one for a month, but changed it for the IS model. The optics of the lens seems better quality in the IS lenses.

HTH.

Thumbs up for the 300D/350D, It's got loads of stuff to get control of the shots, also the auto mode, so even the misses can use it.

I've heard reviews that the 350D's 8MP isn't as good as the 20D's 8MB picture, but TBH most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

You won't be dissapointed...

It's ok for a car that's doing over 150mph! I was pleased with it.

The lens with the image Stability systemwasabout £360. You can get one without the IS system on it for about £160. I tried one for a month, but changed it for the IS model. The optics of the lens seems better quality in the IS lenses.

HTH.

Maybe I'll save up for the lens (wait a few weeks I mean)...the stability function is ideal for all the sort of stuff to do with cars..whilst moving at a fast pace..you cant beat a good qaulity lense.

Attilauk: That pic is great..I remeber seeing it when you first posted it..good use of the shutter speed...great colours..

Shovel Yeah I heard someting like that from some idle chit chat I homed into one day...also suggesting that the image qaulity of the 6mpixel Nikon was superior..due to the qaulity of the chipset...so it kind of threw me somewhat...but the 'Pictures' speak for themselves...plus good Photographers too of course :cool:

A good friend of mine is a professional motorsport photographer for a mag in the US and freelance to several others and uses the D70 - he's used it for about 2 years for bikes, cars and even the odd wedding and swears by it (and an afford anything he wants)

So much so that I bought the D70 about 2 months ago and think it's top notch - Pixmania are doing bundles with lens, 1 gig card (about 300 pics) etc for a good price - and don't be tempted to the newer D70S for about £150 more - it's only a firmware upgrade which you can download to the D70 from the Nikon site FOC...

A good friend of mine is a professional motorsport photographer for a mag in the US and freelance to several others and uses the D70 - he's used it for about 2 years for bikes, cars and even the odd wedding and swears by it (and an afford anything he wants)

So much so that I bought the D70 about 2 months ago and think it's top notch - Pixmania are doing bundles with lens, 1 gig card (about 300 pics) etc for a good price - and don't be tempted to the newer D70S for about £150 more - it's only a firmware upgrade which you can download to the D70 from the Nikon site FOC...

I just checked out Pixmania and they seem to have discontinued the D70 and only sell the D70s..I'll keep looking..well close call between D70s and 350D.

The attraction of the 350D is the ability to use some existing EF lenses I have and almost nearly sure they are compatible...but do like the reports on the D70...easier menu slightly better rendition from the chip..

:cool:

I've heard reviews that the 350D's 8MP isn't as good as the 20D's 8MB picture, but TBH most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

You won't be dissapointed...

But then the Canon 20D is about a grand and is actually 8.2 megapixel. It's pitched to the slightly more professional end of the scale. Better quality sensor.

Like I say, for me it came down to the 350D or the Nikon D70. There really wasn't much to choose between them at all. Size and weight was the only thing that separated them for me. Both are superb cameras.

The EF lenses do fit the 350D if you are still thinking about it.I'm using my 70-300 ultrasonic EF lens with it.

Thats cool..the other question I want to ask is: Can the Shutter noise be switched off...coz I find that really annoying..I get it with my cameraphone and when i want to take a pic on a nudest beach or something...it makes a loud 'cunk click' noise and blows my cover :tongue:

Shutter noise?

The only shutter noise I know of with the 350D is the ACTUAL noise generated by the mirror being flipped up, the curtain activating and the mirror going back down again.

Nothing that I know of that is electronically generated.

When your 'phone makes this noise, it is, as you are no doubt aware, simulating the sound of an SLR shutter being released. Although the digital SLR's are electronic, they still have the mechanical moving parts of a normal SLR, it's just that the light is directed onto a sensor instead of film. The noise is real!

Just get a big lens. That way you can take your 'candid' shots far enough away so they can't hear it anyway!

:D