The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Kaan's SRD1000S - 3.4 Stroked Wide Body Project!

Kaan W

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

keep your colour mate its lovely, but if you had to change it then BMW sparkling graphite

http://www.m3post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=348671&stc=1&d=1265920306

Thats not a bad colour, but I just couldn't bring myself to say it's a bmw colour if someone asked :D

Im not really bothered what the jealous people think as I know it's a nice colour and constantly getting told this but what concerns me is that it's water based. Now I'm not 100 percent sure but I dont think it's as tough as a regular solvent based paint as I seem to be getting alot of stone chips and it doesn't feel like that hard shell you get with other paints. It's probably just me but if this was available in a solvent then I would re do it in that.

Thanks Graham I appreciate it! The thing is once the bay is sprayed with the engine back in it won't be as easy to respray as it would be now. I dont know I really like it, ill maybe get it done again in the same colour so it's perfect again then take it for detailing.

Don't change mate.

I'll see :)

Hello Kaan.

Like the car you are making.

Looks like you got many hours spent into bodywork and dash an everything.

Keep up the good work. ;)

Battleship grey still looks best mate, keep the color, makes it special.

Cheers mate.

Looks lovely as it sits, but if you were to change how about Lamborghini Estoque grey?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=177156&stc=1&d=1384649874

Nice but too silvery for my liking, but thanks :)

spray the engine bay black that way any colour externally will match black.

If I done that I would have in the back of my mind that the car isn't finished, besides black hides alot of things and the extent im going to with the smoothing I want it to be perfectly visible :)

Ok I have some more progress of the engine bay smoothing and its getting there, slowly....

Ive already put more than 100 hours work into this bay and there's still ALOT more to do!! It just seems at the moment its just never gunno end but the final outcome is pushing me to do more and more, so I hope to have it in paint by January if I get the time.

Edited by Kaan W (see edit history)

kaan, what do you think you have spent to date on this mate? makes good reading i know it was problematic at the start but should be a totally different car once finished

Really good work. Really liking this, wish I could smooth and respray the engine bay :D

This is turning out to be one of those iconic forum Supra

Cheers dude, it's quite an easy process but it just takes ages!! And once you start there's no going back :D

kaan, what do you think you have spent to date on this mate? makes good reading i know it was problematic at the start but should be a totally different car once finished

I know how much ive spent mate but it doesn't matter lol. It will be a completely different car to when I first bought it when it had the tatty beige interior, faded stone chipped bodywork, rust everywhere, buggered gearbox and a bodged up single conversion :blink: It was a shambles. I hope when it's done it will change peoples perception of the car and it won't be so much of an embarrassment :)

Ok I have some more progress of the engine bay smoothing and its getting there, slowly....

Ive already put more than 100 hours work into this bay and there's still ALOT more to do!! It just seems at the moment its just never gunno end but the final outcome is pushing me to do more and more, so I hope to have it in paint by January if I get the time.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=177487&stc=1&d=1385143552

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=177490&stc=1&d=1385143570

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=177488&stc=1&d=1385143552

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=177489&stc=1&d=1385143552

This is going to be epic once it's painted. Awesome work buddy.

Have you just smoothed the bay with filler mate or has it been welded with sheet metal beforehand!?

- - - Updated - - -

Like the carbon bay idea!

I have welded sheet metal in to give it the initial shape then fibreglassed over the joins for extra strength then skimmed over the lot with filler to give it the smoothness, the carbon idea would look amazing but ive never done it before and if it goes wrong the whole things pretty much ruined. Should look alot better than before though whatever I do :)

This is going to be epic once it's painted. Awesome work buddy.

Cheers John that means alot mate, I cant wait to get the bay sorted so I can start on the engine :eyebrows:

Cheers dude, it's quite an easy process but it just takes ages!! And once you start there's no going back :D

I know how much ive spent mate but it doesn't matter lol. It will be a completely different car to when I first bought it when it had the tatty beige interior, faded stone chipped bodywork, rust everywhere, buggered gearbox and a bodged up single conversion :blink: It was a shambles. I hope when it's done it will change peoples perception of the car and it won't be so much of an embarrassment :)

IT WAS NEVER THAT MATE! sorry for shouting! just curious as to what the costs is to date