The mkiv Supra Owners Club

would a vvti engine be better in my 93 supra ?

Guest johnmcleod

ive just put a vvti in my car as i blew up the normal twin turbo

had a few little problems with the maf ,when putting engine in

but omg as standard its miles better then the non vvti

Torque is a lot better imo

heres some info i found on here

PRO's

ECU. The VVTi has 2 x 16 bit whilst the stock JDM is 2 x 8 bit. The ecu is obviously much faster. It is based upon the later Lexus units and is very powerful.

Fly-By-Wire. In conjunction with the ECU the FBY system will close the throttle if it senses detonation, high coolant temps, etc

The VVTi system. Adjusts the intake cam timing. This gives significantly more low end torque, and helps the larger turbo'd car spool earlier.

Rev Limit. The rev limit on a stock VVTi is 7200 rpm whilst the Stock JDM is 6800 rpm.

Neutral

MAF. The VVTi uses MAF, The MAF is far more accurate than a speed density system. The downside is that the MAF will eventually become a restriction if big power is required.

AFTERMARKET ecu to by pass the maf

neil from derby has done this

Inlet. The VVTi uses a smaller inlet manifold. This will improve torque, but may become a retriction on really big power cars ( 650+ bhp)

Cons

Wasted Spark ignition. This IMO is a step backwards to coil on plug.

Trac. The VVTi TRAC is too over-sensitive. Pulling the fuse will put the car into "snow" mode.

(i have not got )

Engine Mounts. This applies to all Facelift cars. TMC changed the engine mounts for some strange reason. These are prone to failure and are not as "beefy" as those on earlier cars.

(ive used my old twin turbo engine mount so again this is a problem i have not got )

Good info and interesting reading there.

ive just put a vvti in my car as i blew up the normal twin turbo

had a few little problems with the maf ,when putting engine in

but omg as standard its miles better then the non vvti

Torque is a lot better imo

heres some info i found on here

PRO's

ECU. The VVTi has 2 x 16 bit whilst the stock JDM is 2 x 8 bit. The ecu is obviously much faster. It is based upon the later Lexus units and is very powerful.

Fly-By-Wire. In conjunction with the ECU the FBY system will close the throttle if it senses detonation, high coolant temps, etc

The VVTi system. Adjusts the intake cam timing. This gives significantly more low end torque, and helps the larger turbo'd car spool earlier.

Rev Limit. The rev limit on a stock VVTi is 7200 rpm whilst the Stock JDM is 6800 rpm.

Neutral

MAF. The VVTi uses MAF, The MAF is far more accurate than a speed density system. The downside is that the MAF will eventually become a restriction if big power is required.

AFTERMARKET ecu to by pass the maf

neil from derby has done this

Inlet. The VVTi uses a smaller inlet manifold. This will improve torque, but may become a retriction on really big power cars ( 650+ bhp)

Cons

Wasted Spark ignition. This IMO is a step backwards to coil on plug.

Trac. The VVTi TRAC is too over-sensitive. Pulling the fuse will put the car into "snow" mode.

(i have not got )

Engine Mounts. This applies to all Facelift cars. TMC changed the engine mounts for some strange reason. These are prone to failure and are not as "beefy" as those on earlier cars.

(ive used my old twin turbo engine mount so again this is a problem i have not got )

^^The most relevant post in this thread for the originator.

Sorry but my information is correct!

But Sdistic has the engine and dyno to prove his point.... Either way, I would personally buy a ge engine and build it outside of the car, when ready, drop it in the car, that way you keep your car on the road during the build, are not in a rush so do a better job and get to paint all of those ugly bits.

I think a lot of you are missing the point. Read the original post. He is talking about vvti ge engines. Not gte engines.

If its a typo I don't know where he is getting a gte for 500 quid!

We don't have the vvti ge engines in anything we can easily get hold of here in the uk. so a lot of the info about a gte engines may be irrelevant to him.

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

Guest KonThai

Hi, I'm new here and came over this thread since I'm building a 2JZGTE VVTi 3.4 stroker engine.

#46 - Can't imagine that why the vvti's are restrictive for high HP builds... Daigo Saito's Lexus in FD and Fredric Aasbo's Toyota 86 have both 2JZ 3.4L engines with VVTi.

Both have over 700whp.

Edited by KonThai (see edit history)

i'll gladly try and dig out all the information i have on the flow differences, I own a vvti 1999 TT so did lots of research many moons ago. As for my extensive reputation? would you care to elaborate? If you're referring to a certain white car I can gladly discuss this with you via phone but not openly on here due to legal reasons, happy to supply my number via pm.

Nick.

I'm sure everyone would appreciate as much information as possible.

My comment about your reputation refers simply to your join date of Jun 2012. I don't know you or your history from a bar of soap otherwise.