The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil Drain Options

Scott

I'm having a hell of a time with the oil drain on my car. There is literally no space with the manifold/tubby combo so it's a real pain trying to get it on/off. Is there any tried and tested solutions to getting the thread further out from the cartridge?

At the moment I have an oil drain flange with a 45 degree thread poking out... like this...

The trouble is that the AN connector that goes onto the thread is massive and clumsy. Is there anything stopping me from getting an extended thread welded onto the end of the current thread?

Any other solutions/ideas?

Cheers

i would buy a new flange in mild steel as yours seem to be aluminium. and weld a pip onto the new flang and then weld a AN connector to the pipe once its clears all the big stuff. or even just weld the pipe to the flange and put a hoose on it using a clamp. or maybe you could remove the housings of the turbo to attach it and then once it sits there asembly the housings again.

That looks ideal :thumbs:

Undo the steering rack mounting bolt that gets in the way, it drops out from underneath. Cut it down a bit, and put it back in. :) Should give you enough clearance.

The clearance under the tubby isn't really a problem. If I try to rotate the compressor housing it hits the manifold so I can only rotate it a VERY small amount. Because of this it means that the gap between the compressor housing and the manifold mount is ridiculously small. This leaves next to no room for the oil drain, as it's squeezed between this area. This in turn means that I can't tighten it on in situ, I need to have it already in the exact place and tightened before I put the tubby onto the manifold. No room for error and it's a massive pain.

i would buy a new flange in mild steel as yours seem to be aluminium. and weld a pip onto the new flang and then weld a AN connector to the pipe once its clears all the big stuff. or even just weld the pipe to the flange and put a hoose on it using a clamp. or maybe you could remove the housings of the turbo to attach it and then once it sits there asembly the housings again.

That's just what mine looks like, I'm not sure what material mine is made of. It may even be stainless, it was off of JPs car. I was thinking of something along these lines though, similar to the link JP posted. I'll get a look at it tonight and see if that will do the trick.

Cheers guys.