The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drift Bears Project Zeus

drift_bear

That's my thoughts..... More boost :eyebrows:

if you was running your hybrids at 1.4 then upping the boost may show the quallity of the hybrids, i lost a pair of CR turbo stage 3 to a boost spike of 1.5 they was only a year old and done 5-10k miles, upping the boost with meth will lower egt but still wont stop a turbo destroying under preasure , please have a look at this thead i posted on for the after marf

http://www.mkiv.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?259746-To-boost-or-not-to-boost&highlight=boost+spike

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if you was running your hybrids at 1.4 then upping the boost may show the quallity of the hybrids, i lost a pair of CR turbo stage 3 to a boost spike of 1.5 they was only a year old and done 5-10k miles, upping the boost with meth will lower egt but still wont stop a turbo destroying under preasure , please have a look at this thead i posted on for the after marf

http://www.mkiv.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?259746-To-boost-or-not-to-boost&highlight=boost+spike

The turbos are rated to 1.6bar so we won't be going past that, we are running methonal for the reason it will reduce EGT's and we can increase timing which in its self will reduce egt's further

We are fully aware the turbos could shite themselves lol... We have spoken about that but Alex is willing to try to see what the setup can do.

Lee, what I ment was a comparison of wheel power difference with only the 6 speed conversion.

So we can see how much is lost through the auto box

Not the difference at the wheels after all the bits have been fitted

Unfortunatly we won't be able to do that this time but if we get a car in for just a 6 speed conversion then its a good idea and will do that.

The turbos are rated to 1.6bar so we won't be going past that, we are running methonal for the reason it will reduce EGT's and we can increase timing which in its self will reduce egt's further

We are fully aware the turbos could $#@!e themselves lol... We have spoken about that but Alex is willing to try to see what the setup can do.

hope he has spare cash for a single turbo while its there then ;)

mine where also rated to 1.6, which i spiked to maybe 3 times in there life and was run at 1.4 most of there life but and that last spike to 1.5 and the second turbo shaft must of snapped and the compressor went into the housing and ablitterated it , did you look at the link with pictures post 14, (also i know exactly what boost was hit when they let go as i have peak hold on the avcr).

its just a note / warning really to alex as know one can tell when a turbo is going to let go completely like that,

mine where also rated to 1.6, which i spiked to maybe 3 times in there life and was run at 1.4 most of there life but and that last spike to 1.5 and the second turbo shaft must of snapped and the compressor went into the housing and ablitterated it , did you look at the link with pictures post 14, (also i know exactly what boost was hit when they let go as i have peak hold on the avcr).

its just a note / warning really to alex as know one can tell when a turbo is going to let go completely like that,

That is the plan yes, he's already been looking at single kits.

With the syvecs the boost control will be very good, we will keep it at 1.5 as its been running that the ages.

Thanks for the info.

if he has been running them for some time at 1.5 then maybe they was better built then my CR turbo ones .

im not sure if the info is any help but thank you for being so polite

Yeah CR units on a supra aren't good, loads have let go even from new.

These are turbo technics units, tbh I've heard mixed reviews on them but will have to see. The fact they have been running so long like this is a good sign :)

The aim here really is to gain power through more timing and lower EGT's, we don't need to push more boost.

Unfortunatly we won't be able to do that this time but if we get a car in for just a 6 speed conversion then its a good idea and will do that.

Sorry for the hijack Alex :innocent:

Wouldn't the transmission power loss vary depending on (I would presume) many factors though? Like age and wear on the box and engine?

So it would only be a guide figure/percentage, rather than an accurate one?

Maybe getting before and afters on a few cars where possible would be great, so an average loss could be calculated?

Back on topic, I can't wait to see how this turns out Alex, as (bar the methanol) this is a set up I've been looking into opposed to a small single set up.

Syvecs, 6 speed (or R154) and hybrid/upgraded sequential twins, with an auto diff and BPU.

The power figures at the end of this will possibly make up my mind ;)

Your right there are many factors involved, tryes, gearbox and diff oils at different temps

It would just be a rough guide

Sorry for the hijack Alex :innocent:

Wouldn't the transmission power loss vary depending on (I would presume) many factors though? Like age and wear on the box and engine?

So it would only be a guide figure/percentage, rather than an accurate one?

Maybe getting before and afters on a few cars where possible would be great, so an average loss could be calculated?

Back on topic, I can't wait to see how this turns out Alex, as (bar the methanol) this is a set up I've been looking into opposed to a small single set up.

Syvecs, 6 speed (or R154) and hybrid/upgraded sequential twins, with an auto diff and BPU.

The power figures at the end of this will possibly make up my mind ;)

IMHO, just fit a small single turbo such as a 6262, it will spool faster, make more power, a lot more torque, run cooler, the car will be worth more money and generally just be better all round, even if you make another 40-50 BHP on the hybrids you will hardly notice it.

Right now you can sell the hybrids for decent money, once they fail they are worth nothing.

Best mod you are doing is going manual and Syvecs.

I have to say I agree with Jamie. I don't think the potential gains match up with the effort.

6262 on a cast treadstone manifold, get Ash to port it so it flows nicely and you'll be chatting 600HP. That with a manual box is THE perfect road supra for the UK, very Do-Luck esq. That turbo is my eventual end goal now. :D

Typo- *6262*

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

Thanks for the heads up/warning mate, but like lee has said we have discussed the potential of them eating themselfs so I have a a smaller budget set aside incase for any unforeseen troubles.

IMHO, just fit a small single turbo such as a 6262, it will spool faster, make more power, a lot more torque, run cooler, the car will be worth more money and generally just be better all round, even if you make another 40-50 BHP on the hybrids you will hardly notice it.

Right now you can sell the hybrids for decent money, once they fail they are worth nothing.

Going single would be the easiest way, but both me and lee want to see what can be properly achieved on the set up with the right supporting mods. The V161 and syvecs is one of the reasons why I want to test the reliability of the hybrids.

I have to say I agree with Jamie. I don't think the potential gains match up with the effort.

6262 on a cast treadstone manifold, get Ash to port it so it flows nicely and you'll be chatting 600HP. That with a manual box is THE perfect road supra for the UK, very Do-Luck esq. That turbo is my eventual end goal now. :D

Typo- *6262*

I know that as soon as something happens to the turbos or I get used to the power then I will opt for a single install. Least I will everything there to run a decent set up and will only mainly need to buy a turbo

When you have the Syvecs fitted - Remember to have the pops&bangs map ;)

That has been discussed ;)

So he kills them hybrids super quickly?

Surely it wouldn't kill them straight away

You should have seem him at JAE ;)

Kill the hybrids, Install a single turbo!

:D

Shhh :p

Now I think about it... I really don't want that T04Z!! :D

:D