The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Building an engine, step by step.

hodge

Great to see this thread John.

I will follow this very closely, to get a max of info when I start in a couple of months.

I will also go for Mahle pistons, and my Carillo H-beam HD rods have already arrived together with L19's.

Good luck ;)

Nice setup.

I'll be ordering my pistons in a few weeks. So I can then get the measurements to have the block machined.

- - - Updated - - -

You've got issues ;)

Well that's just common knowledge.

any notes on going for the Pro-series rod over the "higher ranking" Carillo h-beams ? it seems like they also can take some serious power, what are Pro-series ratings ?

These are a much cheaper option that Carrillo rods. And judging by the abuse Jamie has given his engine over the last year or so, they'll take whatever I can throw at them and more.

There rated to over 1000hp so it's all good there.

I've just started reading Tony Licence's engine build thread. This thing is basically a complete how-to on building an engine. It's perfect for a reference. It's answered a lot of my questions already and shed some light on potential issues I would probably have had encountered.

I'm pretty lucky I guess, I work in a machine shop so have access to all the measuring equiptment I'll need for the build, so that's going to save me a lot of money for sure.

So, piston size recommendations, do I go for 86.5mm or 87mm. Again, what are the pro's and cons. Or is it just a case of how oval or damaged the bores are in the block?

You wont gain much displacement at all from going with a bigger piston its just mainly for how warn your cylinders are. I would go 86.5mm to avoid removing too much material between cylinders. Are you going the full treatment for the block, plateu honing, line boring etc?

It won't be getting line bored, but yeah, i want it decked, bored, honed and cleaned out. Also most likely having all the core plugs replaced too.

For the sake of a few quid I would definatley replace the plugs to inspect for any kind of debris that may have got stuck over the years. The best cleaning method would be a caustic soda bath but im not sure if anyone does this these days I think they just jet wash it. You might need it line bored if your changing the bearings but im not 100% sure.

For the sake of a few quid I would definatley replace the plugs to inspect for any kind of debris that may have got stuck over the years. The best cleaning method would be a caustic soda bath but im not sure if anyone does this these days I think they just jet wash it. You might need it line bored if your changing the bearings but im not 100% sure.

You can get various sized bearing to compensate for and wear issues. If it had to be line bored then I would fit a set of billet mains. I'll have the journals all checked prior to machining to make sure there's no issues there before the machining work starts.