The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big Diff Swap - Which Driveshaft?

dandan

I know I could probably find this with a good search but could anyone please answer a few q's about swapping to a big diff?

Do I need to swap both driveshafts or.just one?

If it's one .......which one?

Can I just swap half of a big diff prop onto my little diff prop or do I need to swap the whole thing?

I'm removing the little.diff right now so any replies are hugely appreciated :)

Thanks

Dan

^^ Is that not a right hand and a left hand driveshaft?, as far as I know the left big diff driveshaft is 5 mm shorter than the small diff, as stated in the manual, there are members on here who have fitted the small diff driveshaft on the big diff. If you compare the width of the small diff with the large diff you will find that the bigg diff is also 5 mm wider.

I did post this same question some time ago, since I'm also swapping for a big diff, and got no real answers, but after measuring everything up I'm confident there is still enough play for the 5mm longer driveshaft to fit without issues.

But I would also like to know other people's ideas about this

About 660mm and 715mm long, that's not including the buldged bit that sits inside the diff.

They are 30mm thick.

Thanks, will compare them with my small diff ones on monday, since my driveshafts are at work. I measured mine from the abs ring, hence the remeasure.

the small diff driveshafts,will fit the large case diff, I know that as that is what Im running on my car . the thickness is the same from small diff drive shafts, to 6 speed drive drive shalfs 30mm. that is what I have found out in the lat years of drag racing. after changing diffs and drivshalfs all he time.

Thanks mark. I have shafts and prop from a big diff car so I will defo fit the shorter passage shaft seen as it's all apart now.

I'm not convinced yet that I need.to swap props as they look similar. Do people only change props when going na to tt diffs? Mine is a facelift tt and I just wa t to fit a pre facelift big diff.

Whats with the diff change Dan? trying a different ratio or just upgrading to a stronger diff?

Thanks, will compare them with my small diff ones on monday, since my driveshafts are at work. I measured mine from the abs ring, hence the remeasure.

To the ABS ring i get about 545mm and 587mm

I bought a trd diff Jamie and decided I might as well change to a big casing at the same time seen as I'm running the best part of 600lb.ft through it so I went the whole hog :D Shouldn't need to even think about the diff again now.

This one is a 3.538 though so a bit shorter than my original 3.266 - hopefully it'll be ok...if it's too short I'll have to get the 3.266 parts. We'll see.

I bought a trd diff Jamie and decided I might as well change to a big casing at the same time seen as I'm running the best part of 600lb.ft through it so I went the whole hog :D Shouldn't need to even think about the diff again now.

This one is a 3.538 though so a bit shorter than my original 3.266 - hopefully it'll be ok...if it's too short I'll have to get the 3.266 parts. We'll see.

Just make sure you get those axles far enough in when you reinsert them! Mine has been leaking like a sieve.