The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lets talk exhausts, power, restrictions, noise

hodge

Been thinking about changing my exhaust system, currently running 3" downpipe/midpipe then 3.5" whifbitz cat-back, would reducing the whifbitz system to 3" cause much (if any) restriction? Im assuming the noise level will be reduced if reduced to 3".

Read this http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?278633-3-quot-vs-3-5-quot-exhaust-confirmed-results&highlight=results

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been thinking about changing my exhaust system, currently running 3" downpipe/midpipe then 3.5" whifbitz cat-back, would reducing the whifbitz system to 3" cause much (if any) restriction? Im assuming the noise level will be reduced if reduced to 3".

What power are you aiming for?

• 2 weeks later...

I have got phr 3" dp/mp and 4 inch cat back i'm looking to make around 700hp I don't think ill have a restriction issue. If I was to change the dp/mp for 4" would it gain anymore power over the 3 inch? If not it will be pointless me changing it as it will just make it louder and give less ground clearance.

A inch is alot when it comes to making a system breath/flow better. 4" full system sounds incredible BUT i do have stupid clearance issues with the custom 4" downpipe and midpipe as my boostlogic exhaust hangs mega low. Your be fine on the 3" downpipe and midpipe for 700bhp, i only went 4" as a bargain came up.

I went for

4 inch downpipe into 3 inch for the rest. The gases only need to expand, in the downpipe once they are in the mid/rear section they begin to contract so they do not need the 4". Just going on what a friend of mine told me and the fact the there's a few 750HP cars on a 3 inch system. I think the big thing is making sure you don't have compression bends as these further reduce the pipe size. Anyway, heres mine:

You can see the bottom where it goes to 3 inch here:

Mid pipe

2.5 inch compression bend vs man 3 inch with added flexi

and one final showing off picture :D

cheers guys I know the 3" dp/mp is fine for 700hp and it is made by power house racing so I know it will be a good exhaust but I'm wondering if I change to 4" will I make more power than I would have and maybe the temps will be lower. Basically if it is going to be a benefit in anyway I would rather change now while I am in the middle of building the car rather than later on.

Subscribed, I am about to get all the mild steel pipe work cut off my HKS super drager and have it all replaced with stainless steel , just one question tho, if I don't have resonators put in will this damage my engine ? ( Well 2 questions ) Also if at the end of the second cat I have my apexi EVC butterfly valve to shut off the noise will that damage the turbos ? I put that in as the HKS sounded off at 93Db and that won a £30 ticket from the old bill when it was an N/A, the car is loads quieter now as a TT :)

cheers guys I know the 3" dp/mp is fine for 700hp and it is made by power house racing so I know it will be a good exhaust but I'm wondering if I change to 4" will I make more power than I would have and maybe the temps will be lower. Basically if it is going to be a benefit in anyway I would rather change now while I am in the middle of building the car rather than later on.

I'd leave it as it is, if you aren't going anymore than 700bhp there's not a lot of point.