The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lets talk exhausts, power, restrictions, noise

hodge

which is why the 4" mid/down pipe to 3" system definitely makes sense to me.

I'm not sure on this mate. A turbo comes normally with a given flange diameter. Medium sized turbos generally come in 3", while the big ones use 4" flanges.

The flange diameter is defined through various characteristics, one is the exhaust gas flow that the turbo is able to push towards the exhaust.

Therefore, a 4" DP/MP connected to a 3" exhaust doesn't seem to be logic, as the gases will go quickly through the MP/DP, and then be slowed down when entering the exhaust.

A 3" DP/MP combo, connected to a 3"+ exhaust should be more free flowing, as the bends on numerous 3" systems are nevertheless slowing down the gas flow. The best for me is an exhaust system that is as straight as possible .. therefore I went for the Whifbitz 4" Ti unit which is almost straight.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After having my car's bum up in the air to get at the diff, I have had a chance to look at my exhaust again - I know it's 4" dump, but think it's also 4" to the midpipe and only 3" or 3.25" (Blitz Nur spec), including 1 resonator, back from where the 2nd cat would be. Flows decently well, but sounds too loud for mine - so was considering what Michel has done, and adding another silencer or resonator.

ive got a veilside evolution exhaust, came over from japan on the car, and i love it, not that loud just a nice deep sound, one of them exhausts thats just sweet when you gun it but quiet enough not to draw unwanted attention to yourself, i havint fitted the double decat yet tho :D

Edited by supraGZaerotop (see edit history)

ive got a veilside evolution exhaust, came over from japan on the car, and i love it, not that loud just nice deep sound, one of them exhausts that just sweet when you gun it but quite enough not to draw unwanted attention to yourself, i havint fitted the double decat yet tho :D

Oh that'll certainly change it!

You could cut out the small resonator and fit another silencer in it's place.

I have a brand new stainless steel 3" Jetex silencer I was going to sell that would fit.

http://www.boostaholic.com/supra/drager/drager2.jpghttps://www.jetex.co.uk/jetex/store/images/uploads/u457600rlarge.jpg

You could go with silencers like theese here: Click they are 89mm ID and really do lower the noise level considerably especially the Simons Grand :)

The middle one on that link is the same silencer I've got available.

I'm not sure on this mate. A turbo comes normally with a given flange diameter. Medium sized turbos generally come in 3", while the big ones use 4" flanges.

The flange diameter is defined through various characteristics, one is the exhaust gas flow that the turbo is able to push towards the exhaust.

Therefore, a 4" DP/MP connected to a 3" exhaust doesn't seem to be logic, as the gases will go quickly through the MP/DP, and then be slowed down when entering the exhaust.

A 3" DP/MP combo, connected to a 3"+ exhaust should be more free flowing, as the bends on numerous 3" systems are nevertheless slowing down the gas flow. The best for me is an exhaust system that is as straight as possible .. therefore I went for the Whifbitz 4" Ti unit which is almost straight.

I'm running a 4" downpipe and midpipe into a 3" catback and have no restrictions as yet at my power levels at all. It's just 2 damn loud.

I'm running a 4" downpipe and midpipe into a 3" catback and have no restrictions as yet at my power levels at all. It's just 2 damn loud.

Do you think running the same system, 3" or all the way 4" would make a difference on a dyno?

Which 4" did you go for Dan?

Custom setup as I wanted completely unrestricted and quiet. The only way to do that was with an electric cutout to give me 2 options after the 4" DP/MP, and short 4" exhaust section:

1) Valve open - Dump straight out near the diff - 90dB at idle, 103dB at 5000rpm

2) Valve shut - Passes through a 3" silencer and the the 3" back box - 83.5dB at idle, 96dB at 5000rpm

The decibel meter was 500mm from the tailpipe for these readings.

CIMG3760a.jpg

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

My first stop is going to be AAS on Friday to see what they can reccomend and what they can make for me. Another issue is ground Clearence. I'm wondering if they can make me an oval 4" midpipe and a 3" catback with 2 silencers in and a back box. Ot even a silencer in the midpipe, odviously ground Clearence permitting.

I'm thinking I'm going to raise the car maybe 1/2 inch all round too, just to aid Clearence.

Custom setup as I wanted completely unrestricted and quiet. The only way to do that was with an electric cutout to give me 2 options after the 4" DP/MP, and short 4" exhaust section:

1) Valve open - Dump straight out near the diff - 90dB at idle, 103dB at 5000rpm

2) Valve shut - Passes through a 3" silencer and the the 3" back box - 83.5dB at idle, 96dB at 5000rpm

The decibel meter was 500mm from the tailpipe for these readings.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz202/danc8000/Exhaust/CIMG3760a.jpg

Hey Dan.

Why have you heat wrapped the catback part of the exhaust, are you having issues with stuff under the car getting too hot. I've been thinking about wrapping my midpipe, after I've been driving the car for say an hour, the heat makes my shifter swell and becomes very stiff. No issues with gear change but just isn't as free as it should be.

Hey Dan.

Why have you heat wrapped the catback part of the exhaust, are you having issues with stuff under the car getting too hot. I've been thinking about wrapping my midpipe, after I've been driving the car for say an hour, the heat makes my shifter swell and becomes very stiff. No issues with gear change but just isn't as free as it should be.

It was just to take help knock the noise levels down a touch John - not intentionally a heat thing. I never had any heat issues when it wasn't wrapped but I don't remember driving it that "hard" before I wrapped it so I'm not sure if anything would happen like you said.

It was just to take help knock the noise levels down a touch John - not intentionally a heat thing. I never had any heat issues when it wasn't wrapped but I don't remember driving it that "hard" before I wrapped it so I'm not sure if anything would happen like you said.

I never thought of heat wrap to reduce noise. Would you have said its made much difference?

John you can always try my exhaust on your car if you wish , its got a 4inch v band , but i have a convertor kicking around. It will give you a good starting point.

Thanks Michel. I think I've tried most of your car on mine whilst fault finding ;)

Your a top bloke. I do think I should call over and help get the thing back together again.

• 8 months later...