The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Still misfiring FFS

hodge

Still having misfiring issues with the car.

A little background on it,

The car starts to boost and makes 0.3 bar max begins to splutter and bog, AFRs go off the scale lean.

Driving off boost it drives perfectly.

The fuel pressure is perfect and holds pressure well,

I have both Bosch pumps running so its not starved of fuel from the pumps,

There's check valves in the lines directly after the pumps,

Filter is clear,

Ive tried a different ignitor,

Replaced coilpack clips,

Replaced the plugs,

Tried different coilpacks,

And the Syvecs is not throwing up any error codes or warnings at all.

I'm totally stumped now. All I can now think is I've got a sticky or a couple of sticky injectors, unless anyone has any ideas what it can be.

Its ran fine since I've had the car back together, and only started misfiring on the way back from a car show the end of may.

Any advice or pointers would be great,

Cheers

John

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before got half way down and read you considering injectors that was my first thought :D Maybe a connection issue on the injector plugs rather than their operation? If the lume is easy to get to you could check the resistance on the wire possibly (not sure how your lume is wired)? Purely guessing here flame me down if I'm talking rubbish :blink:

if you have changed the clips go and check that the wires are the right way round , if you have one thats wrong , start the engine and pull off each one starting from the front , engine will die push back on will pick back up , do all six and see if any dont pick back up , at least it will narrow down what cylinders maybe causing the problem .

lets hope its a few wires the wrong way round

Injector drivers?

If it was ignition related you would see rich afr's, not lean ones. Have you checked all ECU and engine grounds are good?

Before got half way down and read you considering injectors that was my first thought :D Maybe a connection issue on the injector plugs rather than their operation? If the lume is easy to get to you could check the resistance on the wire possibly (not sure how your lume is wired)? Purely guessing here flame me down if I'm talking rubbish :blink:

I'm considering just pulling out my loom and checking it all over. I suppose it will remove that from the equation.

This is pobably going to be one of those easy fix situations (hopefully anyway)

A friend of mine had a similar situation with a 200sx turbo. Turned out to be a clogged inline fuel filter.

Hope it gets sorted quickly and cheaply mate.

Filters been cleaned dude.

if you have changed the clips go and check that the wires are the right way round , if you have one thats wrong , start the engine and pull off each one starting from the front , engine will die push back on will pick back up , do all six and see if any dont pick back up , at least it will narrow down what cylinders maybe causing the problem .

lets hope its a few wires the wrong way round

They can't be the wrong way around Peter, the car has ran perfectly and developed this issue after a 3hr drive to Lincoln.

Injector drivers?

If it was ignition related you would see rich afr's, not lean ones. Have you checked all ECU and engine grounds are good?

No nessessarly. My sensor is in the midpipe, so if there's no spark to combust the fuel then it's going to collect in the cylinders and read lean.

It would read rich mate if the combustion was incomplete.

He's right John. My money's on the loom, a bad earth / injector feed or the drivers themselves.

Try measuring the resistance between the motor and ground, and also the main earth from the syvecs and ground, they should both be near as dammit to 1.

If they're both fine, potentially injector drivers? I've seen this happen on the AEM V1 units when they've crapped out. The break-up on these was about 5.5k though.

Any loss of sync on the Syvecs? Assuming Ryan's checked the logs?

Failing all of the above, check the resistance on each of the injectors, so measure ohms from the 12v feed to them and check each return / ground wire that comes back to the Syvecs. (IGN Off). They should all read the same / near enough.

FUEL PUMP ECU, maybe.

Iirc, doesnt this still run 7 volts off boost and switches to 12v when the car makes positive boost. If this wasn't functioning correctly and not switching to 12v would thus cause the issues Im experiencing.

FUEL PUMP ECU, maybe.

Iirc, doesnt this still run 7 volts off boost and switches to 12v when the car makes positive boost. If this wasn't functioning correctly and not switching to 12v would thus cause the issues Im experiencing.

Sounds about right from the top of my head dude,i know its a pain in the ass mate but clean and flow test of the injectors?

Sounds about right from the top of my head dude,i know its a pain in the ass mate but clean and flow test of the injectors?

I'll try a 12v fuel pump mod tonight when I get in from work, failing that, I'll whip the injectors out to be cleaned and tested.

I had a problem like this years ago and it turned out to be a bad connection from the earth strap the one from the block/head to the front scuttle panel, have u checked it's making good contact, prob something u have already checked but just trying to help out ;-)

Could be injectors but not all of them surely?

Hope u get it sorted hodge, Ellis said the car is unreal, wish I knew u lot were in Lincoln that day, would of come to see u.

All the best ;-)