The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Superspark coil packs (who uses them)

hodge

Hi guys

I think I'm going to get a new set of coil packs for my car.

How many of you use superspark coil packs, and how are they in comparison to the stock alternative apart from about 300 quid cheaper of course.

Any reviews on these would be great.

Cheers

John

Not really sure how you rate a coilpack, I guess they are good as never had spark issues down to them.

Check with Jamie but I think he runs them in his and that's been run at 2.2bar with a big blower :D

I'm running the same size turbo as Jamie but a journal bearing version and nowhere near as much boost lol. Maybe a good investment then.

I hear they are very good and obviously cheaper which is a touch. Lets hope this cures your misfire problem John or it could be head off again?

Nah, there's no reason the head would need to come off. It's all good in there. I've convinced myself this is an ignition issue. I've illuminated everything else.

i have a full set of toyota ones that are good i only replaced trying to solve a missfire problem which turnt out to be ecu firmware,if you want to borrow them let me know

Thanks for that dude, I really appreciate the offer. Hopefully I'm going to rob and pilfer all the parts I need to try from Bosscos car so I should be fine.

Thanks again.

Take what you want bro.

Mutual respect

I run them and Im sure Lee and get a good price in them.

Once I can identify the problem (with Bosscos engine parts lol), I'll drop lee a p.m about them if there the issue.

Cheers Ricky.

Interesting read.

agreed

but i would have to agree with one quote on there "Depends on your ECU IMO."

nearly all of them comments come from people with a AEM V1, now i dont know much about ecu's but i even know that the aem v1 has a problem giving the supra a correct spark,

if i was running big power or high boost then maybe oem would be the safe choice,

but i would have to agree with one quote on there "Depends on your ECU IMO."

nearly all of them comments come from people with a AEM V1, now i dont know much about ecu's but i even know that the aem v1 has a problem giving the supra a correct spark,

Agreed, you can only run decent boost with an AEM v1 if you also install a HKS DLI, this is due to the ECU converting the ignition system from direct fire to wasted spark, ie half the charge time per coil which results in a weaker spark.

The DLI boosts this but in turn means the coils are working twice as hard, ie the system is still wasted spark but power being amplified for each charge.

The AEM v1 and DLI is a combo that works but not ideal.

I have run an AEM v1 with and without DLI and without it wasnt even able to drive the stock coils to reach 1bar on stock JSpec twins, DLI installed and 1.2bar on stock twins and 1.5bar on single without any issues.

Since moving to Syvecs and back to direct fire the DLI was binned.