The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone Want a PSP?

Nic

The Sony PSP was launched here months ago, I was chatting to someone yesterday that said the ones that are sold in Hong Kong are chipped, so that they are region free. I'm going to check this out and if it is true I'll be buying one for my friend in the UK.

I was just wondering if anyone else would be interested in one as I may be able to negotiate a better price if I was to buy a few together.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi, are these the Jap spec ones of the China domestic ones..... Very important as the Jap spec has a FAR better screen. The UK ones will be using the Jap spec screens.

If they are Jap spec, i will have a few... depending on price, one for me, the girlfriend and for my brother :respekt:

hi, are these the Jap spec ones of the China domestic ones..... Very important as the Jap spec has a FAR better screen. The UK ones will be using the Jap spec screens.

If they are Jap spec, i will have a few... depending on price, one for me, the girlfriend and for my brother :respekt:

They will be the Jap spec PSP with the better screen, I've got a Chinese friend of mine checking out best prices for me, I'll post details/prices when I get them.

I was chatting to someone yesterday that said the ones that are sold in Hong Kong are chipped, so that they are region free. I'm going to check this out and if it is true I'll be buying one for my friend in the UK.

They're region free staight from the factory, no need to mod / chip. Region coding can be writen to the software but it's up to the publisher / developer as to whether they implement it. Same story with Xbox.

I would buy the Japanese one from the factory. The uk release will need modding and you will pay more for the Standard kit than the starter kit.

Nic which of the 2 sold kits will you be getting? I would prefere the starter kit than the standard.

I think they will be £200 when they come out here.

:thanks:

How come they will need modding mate - to do what? I thought they were all region-free? :rtfm:

Nope UK and USA are contry specific, Japan is region 2 The USA one has the naff screen (with more reports of dead pixels) The Jap ones (as usual) are better since the Japanese market is harshes, the UK ones will use the same screen but will be rejion bound. Version 1.00 and 1.50 are all able to play hacked games, version 1.51 &1.52 disable hacked games and homebrew. Version 2.00 also does this but adds a browser for wlan browsing. My advise is to go with a Jap one then eBaY it for the games which will be cheaper than the ones sold in the UK.

Also if you get a prog called "TooPSP" and a prog like dvd shrink etc, you can add a movie dir on the memory car (500mb min for a full film in mpg4 formatt) and watch it, rather than shelling out the same movie on UMD. 1 gig recomended.

Don't forget chaps they're released here on September 1st.

Not sure about availability if you haven't pre-ordered though - i'm guessing they'll go like hot cakes.

They will sell very fast, I may be able to secure some units for people but price will be set by head office.

Do you guys remember when the PS2 came out.....?

The first million were Region free on games and movies (Japanese Release) ?....but the US of A DOJ had said the movie/game industry in America will loose a significant amount of money.... So every one else in the world had to suffer?

Sony sent out recalls and software so that the coding could be changed because the DOJ won the case..... Tossers!!!!!

Do you really think they will release that in Europe - hey if they do great! :thumbs: I am just not sure about believing all that is said till the day.

Martin R - not saying you are wrong but I have herd this: -

Sony Staff = £179 - standard release

People/Shop offers = Circa £200

Starter kits = £220

But like I said I am not sure... This is what I have herd at Sony.

The good news is that they have cracked the loading of software on to the PS2 so we may be able to get some software on there for the Supra soon.... well I will be trying once I get my hands on one :)