The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Finished!!! :) - Lots of white smoke, dumped all the oil

listy

I have searched for this, but cant find the answer I'm looking for.

Was on the motorway, and all of a sudden I see white smoke billowing out from the back of the car.

I calmed it down, and drove off boost for a while, and the smoke went away.

I then did a few good pulls and the smoke didnt come back until I was sat on the second turbo for a while.

By the time I got home, the smoke had completely stopped, and there was oil all over the back of the car.

Had a quick word with a mate and he thinks my oil filter has given up. (Was due an oil change this weekend anyway)

Looks like all the oil is now on the underside of the car. From the front of the block, pretty much all the way to the back.

The car pulled well on boost still, there was no loud bang as a tell tale of a turbo going kapput, and it runs as sweet as ever.

A new oil filter is sat at a suppliers for me to pick up tomorrow, so I'll crack that after work.

Someone help me out!

Edited by listy (see edit history)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been under the car and it looks like its dumped all the oil out the bottom end somewhere. Theres oil all over the bottom of the car, so maybe the smoke was caused by the oil burning of the bottom of the engine? Cant pinpoint where its come from though, as I said, its everywhere, except for in the oil tank. Thats completely dry going by the dipstick.

Edited by listy (see edit history)

Need to source where the leak has come from. Get it up on ramps, use cleaner just to flush away the oil. Put more oil in and hopefully find the leak. Following it to source may help.

I have a vacuum hose go on the intercooler on the focus, it was pissing oil everywhere. Wasn't a huge problem. Maybe a simply fix, trace it back to source. Ramps are your best toolbox

Sounds like classic front main seal failure to me , the seal fails and the oil gets blown along the underneath of the entire car, and gets burnt by the hot exhaust, unfortunately just driving off boost, and then boosting was the worst possible thing you could do, your actually very lucky you didn't loose all the engine oil as usually happens, even so if you have been boosting with very low oil level, you wont have done the engine any favor's, sorry!

I only did it for a VERY short time to make sure the turbos hadnt gone, and there was still a little bit of oil in the system, but now its cool it appears pretty much empty.

As asked above, is this an engine out job or a bumper and fmic off job?

Is it straight forward to fix and how would you fix it? Or is it a garage job?

I've only gone as far as replacing the cambelt on mine mate, if you can get the dreaded crank pulley bolt off without having to remove the bumper and FMIC you should be okay from there, theres a fair amount of room to play with.

I'm not sure on the procedure to carry out the work you need to do? is the leak definitely not coming out the oil filter or sump plug before you get too worried?

I dont know yet mate. Need to try and get it on a ramp at work. Was going to tomorrow, but just had a phone call saying I need to go to Brecon until friday, so it will have to wait until the weekend before I can have a proper look :(

Pull the top cam belt cover, if there is oil all around the belt and pulleys, its pretty likely that its the front main seal,

to carry out the work you will need to pull the rad to gain enough access to crack the crank bolt, you will need a lock up bar for the crank, as the bolt is done up to around 175ftlbs +, a two bolt puller, or three leg should see the pulley off.

However if you just replace the seal, you will likely have the seal fail again, as the reason it fails is down to a worn oil pump, so the best option is to fit a new one at the same time, but this will either require the engine out, or the front sub frame to be removed in order to get the sump off.

At the same time i would take a good look at, and even remove a con-rod and mains cap to see if there is any damage from running very short of oil.

Got a mechanic coming to look at the supe on saturday. Can anyone suggest a ball park figure I should be expecting for a quote for front main seal and oil pump replacement. The mechanic knows he can do it by removing the subframe

Undo the top cover on the engine, held with allen key bolts, Have a look at the cam gears if any oil round there, get a torch and shine down to the front seal, id be 100% sure where its coming from first. If you see no oil, get the front end up on ramps and have a look underneath.

Undo the top cover on the engine, held with allen key bolts, Have a look at the cam gears if any oil round there, get a torch and shine down to the front seal, id be 100% sure where its coming from first. If you see no oil, get the front end up on ramps and have a look underneath.

I've had it on stands mate, all the oil is all over the cam pulley etc and all along the underside of the car. Apparently "classic front seal failure". Got a mechanic coming tomorrow to have a look.