The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tapping noise and service recommendation

mawby

Hello all,

I'm going to be cheeky and ask two questions, but they are related.

Firstly, I noticed on Saturday whilst taking my 94 Supra RZ TT out for a play that there was a sort of tapping noise comming from the direction of the engine. It was only really noticable when accellarating hard-ish at around the 3000rpm mark, but it was definitely there. Sunday morning whilst parked on the drive I couldn't get it to happen, and for a while this morning I didn't notice it either. Then, on my way home having floored it some to join a very fast flowing dual carriage way, I noticed the sound had come back. Any ideas? Two things I've noticed that I think are slightly out of place but might not be relavent are...

1) sometimes, especially if it's been a damp night, the power steering pump can make a constant whine even when just idling. Not as much as when you start turning the steering wheel, but still noticeably louder.

2) the belt driven cooling fan seems to not be turning perfectly straight. Does that make sense? I gave it a good old tug (oh er misses!) and the thing seems perfectly solid, not lose at all. But as it rotates it looks like it's ossicallating back and force.

The car has to go in for a service in the next couple of weeks so I'll probably have to get them to look at it, but I'd like any advice prior so they don't try and con me into thinking that replacing the exhaust will fix the problem or something!

And that leads me nicely on to my next question. As anyone had any dealings with the Marshall Rolfe Toyota garage in Southampton with regards to servicing an import Supra? I don't want to leave my car with a bunch of monkeys! Or can anyone recommend another good Toyota garage in the Protsmouth, Southampton or Newbury areas?

If you've got this far then cheers!

Lee

Mk4 1994 Black Supra RZ TT

PS. Even more cheeky and slipping in a third question, how much am I looking to pay for a 60k miles service, and whats involved?

Hi mawby

I can't really help you with your tapping problems but I'll try and help you with the Marshall Rolfe garage. I've never used them personally but I know someone who has.

I'll email them now and ask them what they were like, my mate has an MR2 and he's had his car serviced there before, although I can't remember what his thoughts/comments were like.

As soon as I get any feedback from him I'll let you know. I'll ask him how much his service was, may just give you a rough guide to work with, have seen on this site that garages like to charge people extra as soon as you mention the word import.

Mate said the garage was ok and he couldn't think of anything that really troubled him service wise.

Prices he stated were :

A Service - £360

B Service - £250

C Service - £160

He's just had a 60k A service on his MR2 and was happy.

Hope the prices have helped but would suggest calling them to find out how much for the import.

I was concerned about the tapping noise you have mentioned. I still get it when in 2nd gear under high revs. I was told it could be coming from the autobox (not sure if your car is an auto or not).

To be honest i believe it is just engine noise or as Brian has suggested the tapet noise sound from the fuel injection solanoids.

Could be auto box, with an over due fluid change, check with windows open in a builtup area for reflected sound, more like a flutter than clicking.

Before you take your car for a service, if it is an auto, ask the service centre what ATF fluid they use. If they say Type III or Dextron type, say thankyou and put the phone down and never go anywhere near them. Your box needs TypeII fluid which is now replaced with TypeIV. Use anything else and you will be spending huge money on box repairs later.

So the problem might be the auto box, but it might not. Either way no one thinks it's too serious. I have to admit that since I've been back to my normal more relaxed driving stlye the noise seems to have gone. I'll mention it at the service and see what they think.

As for the service, a lot of people have recommended Toyoda Tech which is local to me, but some people have warned me off them.... umm.... I suppose I'll have to try them once and decide for myself how good they are.

Cheers to everyone who replied.

Lee