The mkiv Supra Owners Club

bad car accident - insurance valuation?

SatSport

Hi again all,

Had a bad car accident last sunday, car total write off, not my fault, other driver drove through a Stop sign and put us into a wall of a house. I`m not too bad, wife was taken to hospital thankfully now discharged.

Insurance company dealing with everything. They are about to give me a valuation on the car,(`07 Accord Sport Diesel iCTDI SatNav/HFT), question is do i have to accept it, is it a take it or leave it thing?

Any advice appreciated

ps. its Admiral

You never accept an insurance comps first offer (unless by some miracle its more or equal to top book in the trade guides) getting your own valuation is a must in my opinion and then you'll know how good the offer your getting is

How many miles had it done ?

With average mileage

trade in value is £4450 to £5530

Dealer retail is £7760 to £8550

With £92k on the clock I get the following:

Franchised (main) dealer: £6,065

Independent dealer: £5,750

Private sale in good condition: £5,125

Private sale in poor condition: £4,040

Part exchange: £4,500

Hence i put for average mileage as its £3.95 to get a glass's online price with adjusted mileage

You'd be better off using consumer-facing companies for this rather than trade-facing ones such as Glass's. I used Parkers. They're the best in the whole world. ;)

After my crash in my Hilux Surf in December, I had the vehicle at home and had a chat with the assessor whilst he was looking over the car....he called me back directly to discuss the value before he got back onto the insurance company...I ended up with £2k and the salvage.....the truck stood me £1500 in the 1st place so was already quids in, then I swapped the truck for my Supra! :)

my middle name is Midas.

But, my point is, the price you get is largely based on pre accident condition and service history etc. My Hilux Surf was a 1994 but it was in excellent condition and was worth near the top of what the market dictated at the time.

i was in an accident in my suzuki swifyt sport. total write off. roof caved in, bent chassis and axles...the LOT! they offered me silly money to start with, so i told them where to go! had lots of extras on the car too. so after a few emails and offers i got like £2000 extra on the original offer :) shame as i really loved that car too :(

You are entitled to the market value of the pre-accident condition. The best thing to do is go in to auto trader and find 3 examples of cars similar to yours.

Same model, similar mileage, similar extra's. This is what the assessor will advise you do if you are not happy with their valuation.

Times have changed, it's not just a case of asking for more because you don't want to accept their first offer.

I agree with Pig. Autotrader is a good place to start. The problem is the more common the car is the easier it is for the insurance company to find cheap examples of it an offer you a lower price. Admiral were good with me when I had to justify repairs on my car using ads from Autotrader to back up my reasoning.