The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much Power does a Supra need to outrun a R35 GTR

Samurai 20V

I meant you have to stand on the brake, build revs and spool the turbos before getting the best out of the GTR. That's how I pulled my 3.3 seconds a few weeks back. It's tenuous, but might give the Supra driver a hope in hell of keeping up. MIGHT :D

Yeap, set the buttons to RRO, left foot hard on brake and right foot on accelerator. Revs should hang around the 3200 mark (higher for newer or tuned cars) then just let go the brake lol. Doesn't take too long to spool as I've only held 2-3 secs before launching - the computers will sort the rest :p

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll hopefully have a few videos to contribute to this discussion in a few weeks - Ryan has tuned both my Supra and my mate's GTR (stage 1) :)

Looking forward to videos :) Out of curiosity what's involved in stage 1 GTR tuning? Is there a significant increase in power and torque?

After owning both in various different stages of tune, I would say with a 40 - 150 race that a small single (575hp, 550lbft) ML auto with 3200 hi stall would be enough to get away (not by much) from a stock 2009/2010 GTR. This would be a dry and straight private road/track obviously. I think a manual you would struggle because of having to change gear. However if its stage one (just a map and decat pipe) then it could be running 570-580lbft from as low as 2750rpm and 600hp which is the killer if he's using Race auto mode! If its stage 4 + newer gearbox software which is very popular then ring Jamie and I'm sure he'll cane him for you :D

After owning both in various different stages of tune, I would say with a 40 - 150 race that a small single (575hp, 550lbft) ML auto with 3200 hi stall would be enough to get away (not by much) from a stock 2009/2010 GTR. This would be a dry and straight private road/track obviously. I think a manual you would struggle because of having to change gear. However if its stage one (just a map and decat pipe) then it could be running 570-580lbft from as low as 2750rpm and 600hp which is the killer if he's using Race auto mode! If its stage 4 + newer gearbox software which is very popular then ring Jamie and I'm sure he'll cane him for you :D

It's almost like we use JP as the forum bully :D

Check out one of Dans, (Pistonbroke) YouTube video he was a BPU TT6 and came across a GTR on the way home one night.

GTR pulled away and that was already a rolling start. Not sure if the GTR had any mods or not but was still fast.

Check out one of Dans, (Pistonbroke) YouTube video he was a BPU TT6 and came across a GTR on the way home one night.

GTR pulled away and that was already a rolling start. Not sure if the GTR had any mods or not but was still fast.

Anyone got the link???

Anyone got the link???

After owning both in various different stages of tune, I would say with a 40 - 150 race that a small single (575hp, 550lbft) ML auto with 3200 hi stall would be enough to get away (not by much) from a stock 2009/2010 GTR. I think a manual you would struggle because of having to change gear. However if its stage one (just a map and decat pipe) then it could be running 570-580lbft from as low as 2750rpm and 600hp which is the killer if he's using Race auto mode!

After being in my friend's 580ish bhp 09 GTR (with 2011 gearbox software), and experiencing how quick it hits from a roll or a dig... I think it will be more than a match for most small singles up to triple digit plus speeds.

Of course, I believe in bringing a gun to a knife fight :D

After being in my friend's 580ish bhp 09 GTR (with 2011 gearbox software), and experiencing how quick it hits from a roll or a dig... I think it will be more than a match for most small singles up to triple digit plus speeds.

Of course, I believe in bringing a gun to a knife fight :D

If you need a camera then hit me up, would love to join you guys! :D

i wouldnt mind taking on a standard gtr from a roll, think i might just have him :) but from a dig definitely NOT...

One of the earlier ones shouldn't give you much trouble from a roll, unless it's Jurgens. In that case, just give up without trying :D

One of the earlier ones shouldn't give you much trouble from a roll, unless it's Jurgens. In that case, just give up without trying :D

aha if jurgens car pulled up next to me at the lights id just whistle and look the other way! or cheat and go on red :sly:

Ok, to summarise the replies so far...

1. BPU TT might have a chance to run close to a stock 08/09 GTR on a roll, On launch, forget about it..

2. If the 08/09 GTR is stage 1+, forget about it

3. A small single (550hp - 600hp), should have you ahead on a roll against the stock 08/09, on launch, again a tough ask..

Note - The above takes into account 08/09 is in no form Jurgens car...:D

4. New spec GTR is alot faster than the old spec, BPU will have no chance at all...

5. JamieP is nominated as the worldwide GTR basher.. :D

Did I cover it all? :p

Based on my experiences I 'd say that 550hp should see you just about pulling away on a roll from about 40mph....assuming you have the traction to get your power to the tarmac.

Maybe against a 2008-2010 GTR. Not against the 2011+ as these have more power better gearbox software, etc

My comments were based on first hand experience with an 11 plate GTR; at the time I was putting out about 570fwhp and about the same in torque (from SRR).

At SRR completely stock, mine tested at 499.5bhp. The one is 530-550, not positive though.

What wheel horsepower figure were you hitting with that at SRR?