The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much Power does a Supra need to outrun a R35 GTR

Samurai 20V

Go from a rolling start.

It will be closer than you think depending on the driver ;)

A decent 600hp Supra walks a stock GTR all day long from a roll.

A 500hp one should be a good race.

GTR's have got the launch technology, but from my experience in a rolling start they aren't as good.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go from a rolling start.

It will be closer than you think depending on the driver ;)

A decent 600hp Supra walks a stock GTR all day long from a roll.

A 500hp one should be a good race.

GTR's have got the launch technology, but from my experience in a rolling start they aren't as good.

Thanks for the advice mate..

It seems the BPU is quicker than I thought, I have not raced any other car so I have no frame of reference..

My S2 would suffer quite the opposite problem. I should be able to get a jump on a GTR off the line, but by after 30 it would seriously reel me in and then it would be a slaughter.

If I tune my S2 to around 400hp it should do very well against a stock GTR until 100+

Unfortunately, GTRs are very tuneable so even an aftermarket exhaust would have things in the GTRs favour again.

I think that a well set up BPU supra with a good driver would give a stock GTR a run for its money from a roll. If you do race (on your private track) make sure you film it for us to see : )..

Ive seen a few go and the stock ones dont really wow you speed wise so I think it will be close but as mentioned before, a few tweaks in terms of exhaust, Ecutek/Cobb remap will see the GTR into silly power..

Im waiting to run into one but everyone I see seems to be on the other side of the road..

I was cruising around london in my R34 GTR a couple of years ago - which I thought was a fast car - and then I saw a R35 in my rear view mirror on my bumper. We had soem fun through the streets but it was very clear that it is a very special beast.. Power, without control, will not beat it. - well thats my thought anyway!

GTR on trailers does not mean its broken! Most owners send the cars away for modding/servicing and most places offer a concierge service. Pick up and drop off!!

A stock GTR is quick but not that quick. A stage 1.5 GTR yielded me 596bhp. Car will be at supra pod :) so bring on the singles :D I believe the extra 100bhp would beat the LFA, but I would still take the LFA if I could afford it!

GTR on trailers does not mean its broken! Most owners send the cars away for modding/servicing and most places offer a concierge service. Pick up and drop off!!

This :)

I had the opportunity of driving Hope4Sun's GTR when he first got it, one of the first ones out (he had the deposit down for two years or so). It's ludicrously quick off the mark, and I cheerfully hit 150mph in it, so don't give it all the "it's really slow after 120mph" because it isn't. What I did feel though, is rather insulated from the experience, it was kinda muted. But one short drive can't do a car justice, so perhaps that was just "different car" syndrome.

I also went up against it in my Supra and I could just ease away from a rolling start, it wasn't exactly 'walking' it. That's somewhere around 550 to 600bhp. Standing starts aren't my forte :D

-Ian

This :)

I had the opportunity of driving Hope4Sun's GTR when he first got it, one of the first ones out (he had the deposit down for two years or so). It's ludicrously quick off the mark, and I cheerfully hit 150mph in it, so don't give it all the "it's really slow after 120mph" because it isn't. What I did feel though, is rather insulated from the experience, it was kinda muted. But one short drive can't do a car justice, so perhaps that was just "different car" syndrome.

I also went up against it in my Supra and I could just ease away from a rolling start, it wasn't exactly 'walking' it. That's somewhere around 550 to 600bhp. Standing starts aren't my forte :D

-Ian

The joys of a single turbo Supra!

I saw a vid of a company that actually got the stock GTR 0 - 60 in iirc 3.5 seconds... Sounds unreal right they got it to do 3.3 seconds? I will try to find the vid

Theres some amazing launch control systems for Supras but I cant see many doing 0 -60 in 3.3 seconds. But a high power supra with 700+ will fly by 70 - 150 I reckon

The launch control in the GTR does require a bit of time to 'prime' though so a Supra with a decent driver might stand half a chance.

Prime? You mean pushing the 3 buttons to RRO? :D Well I've heard the new 2012 LC software is very much better compared to mine and if that's correct I would think it's mental! I've only tried launching once and I've never seen the speedo hit 100 that fast ever! Not saying it is impossible for a skilled Sup driver to win but just saying how easy it is in the GTR...

JamiePs beast would walk over 99% of any GTRs out there tho launch control or not! :D

Prime? You mean pushing the 3 buttons to RRO? :D Well I've heard the new 2012 LC software is very much better compared to mine and if that's correct I would think it's mental! I've only tried launching once and I've never seen the speedo hit 100 that fast ever! Not saying it is impossible for a skilled Sup driver to win but just saying how easy it is in the GTR...

JamiePs beast would walk over 99% of any GTRs out there tho launch control or not! :D

I meant you have to stand on the brake, build revs and spool the turbos before getting the best out of the GTR. That's how I pulled my 3.3 seconds a few weeks back. It's tenuous, but might give the Supra driver a hope in hell of keeping up. MIGHT :D

Based on my experiences I 'd say that 550hp should see you just about pulling away on a roll from about 40mph....assuming you have the traction to get your power to the tarmac.

Maybe against a 2008-2010 GTR. Not against the 2011+ as these have more power better gearbox software, etc

Rolling start I think a BPU TT6 Supra (under good road conditions) will be slightly faster than a stock GTR. Launching is another story as the LC software is ridiculously good in the GTR. A tuned GTR though is another kettle of fish :p

Nope.

When I was BPU, I had the misfortune of taking on a GTR - and from 70 leptops to around 130, he pulled away. Not a lot, but he pulled away.

Can't say if the car was stock or not - but my BPU was pretty strong.