The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much Power does a Supra need to outrun a R35 GTR

Samurai 20V

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd imagine at least 650bhp, though you'd be hard to get a better launch and power delivery from low down. You have to remember the tech on the GTR is only a few years old in comparison to our Supra's. Higher end you should be able to rein him in, the GTR getting to top speed doesn't seem to be great, remember seeing a few video's. Acceleration though on a stock R35 GTR is rapid.

A lot will depend on who likes their clutch the most. Rolling start for the mechanically sympathetic - find a speed where you're at the start of your power band but he's toward the top of his rev range and will have to shift soon afterwards? You'll still lose, but by a slightly reduced margin. ;)

I'd imagine at least 650bhp, though you'd be hard to get a better launch and power delivery from low down. You have to remember the tech on the GTR is only a few years old in comparison to our Supra's. Higher end you should be able to rein him in, the GTR getting to top speed doesn't seem to be great, remember seeing a few video's. Acceleration though on a stock R35 GTR is rapid.

That's a good point, they don't seem to go anywhere after 120mph+. Track day speeds though. :(

I wouldnt waste your petrol..the GTR will cane you. Its basically one big computer that can deliver its 500+bhp very quickly and efficiently..each and every time through its 4wd. The supra is old technology...awesome none the less but where as we have to launch right..watch slippage...gear changes...traction etc..

The GTR basically does it for you. for a supra to indeed woop or pull away from one id say it needs to be a very responsive 650+bhp...ideally 800bhp...or for a walk in the park just borrow jamie p's ;)

I think somewhere in the 10s

Thats mad...

I wouldnt waste your petrol..the GTR will cane you. Its basically one big computer that can deliver its 500+bhp very quickly and efficiently..each and every time through its 4wd. The supra is old technology...awesome none the less but wheteas we have to launch right..watch slippage...gear changes...traction etc..

The GTR basically does it for you. for a supra to indeed woop or pull away from one id say its needs to be very responsive at 650+bhp...ideally 800bhp...or for a walk in the park just borrow jamie p's ;)

Yeah, I reckon you right, its just for fun though..

I definitely understand that the tech in it is fantastic... It must be awesome to drive..

I got my eye on an ATS LSD, maybe I can get it fitted b4 I race him.. :D

Jamie Ps car will embarrass many a supercar in the world..

I was not planning on going from launch, I would definitely get cremated, more like a 2nd gear roll..

What sort of 400m times do they run in stock form?

I think somewhere in the 10s

Not in stock form no, more like mid 11's.

Don't forget the GTR has a LOT of weight and is generally a big old car. I think a few of you would be surprised. It'll all rest on the launch, but if from a rolling start or you caught the GTR driver napping it'd be close.

I did 3.3 seconds to 62mph in a GTR a few weeks ago at Nissan's test track, but I still maintain my old Supra was a far more exciting car to drive.

Think Brian's (TDR) achieved that on his BPU auto. ;)

Not bad for a car with nearly 20 years apart!

For sure, very impressive.. Any idea on the quickest BPU TT6? I reckon a proper clutch would be needed to push into the 11s..

Don't forget the GTR has a LOT of weight and is generally a big old car. I think a few of you would be surprised. It'll all rest on the launch, but if from a rolling start or you caught the GTR driver napping it'd be close.

I did 3.3 seconds to 62mph in a GTR a few weeks ago at Nissan's test track, but I still maintain my old Supra was a far more exciting car to drive.

I had a look at my mates one today, its huge.. Rolling from 4000rpm in 3rd might be in the Supras favour, but as mentioned before it will be a tough duel..

From launch requires some skill, not sure I am there yet...

I also prefer a more mechanical car, not a fan off all the electronic aids..

For sure, very impressive.. Any idea on the quickest BPU TT6? I reckon a proper clutch would be needed to push into the 11s..

I had a look at my mates one today, its huge.. Rolling from 4000rpm in 3rd might be in the Supras favour, but as mentioned before it will be a tough duel..

From launch requires some skill, not sure I am there yet...

I also prefer a more mechanical car, not a fan off all the electronic aids..

stu hagen in the states is running 11s all day long but his hybrids n setup is way beyond bpu.Theres a few bpu's in the club running fast times on stock twins so its possible! Im hoping for a good time on my mega spec'd bpu at the pod in july but i think GTR times are pushing it lol.

stu hagen in the states is running 11s all day long but his hybrids n setup is way beyond bpu.Theres a few bpu's in the club running fast times on stock twins so its possible! Im hoping for a good time on my mega spec'd bpu at the pod in july but i think GTR times are pushing it lol.

Cool mate..

I would be overjoyed to get into the 11's, but tough job..

I love the GTR, just shows what the Japanese can really do when they set their minds to it. Same as the Supra 18+ years ago!

There is a white GTR round the corner from where I live and tbh I looks fast just parked up, Im not even going to try! :D

Cool mate..

I would be overjoyed to get into the 11's, but tough job..

yeah im guna aim for a 12.??? And see how i do. Im only pushing 1.2bar with my AFR's in the 11's so nice and safe for now...up the boost and redo the fuelling once i know what it can do at present

Depends on how much HP the recovery truck has that the GTR is sat on.

Seen 2 last week and 3 since sunday this week on the back of recovery trucks.

:D

They do not have a good rep for reliability..

But I hear the new editions are sorted, plus they are faster?