The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bad Vibration?

JamieP

All feels perfect till I get to about 130mph, I can then feel a bit of a vibration, 150 and it's starting to get bad, 170mph and the car feels like its going to tear apart.

It's not coming through the steering wheel, feels like its coming from under the car, I thought the undertray may have been loose as I had a similar thing happen on another car, all looks good though.

I did wonder if maybe my DSS prop has gone out of balance, but I cant feel anything in the lower gears at all.

Any ideas?

Check the prop bud.

Had the same symptoms on mine but at a lower speed. It eventually caused the bellhousing to crack off!! It would only happen in 5th as well

It felt like the bottom of the car was going to fall apart at the time under acceleration

Got under it today, prop all looks fine tbh, everything tight and seems to still be straight, new oem complete prop is the best part of £600 new from steve manley.

I did notice my gearbox is leaking oil again, i wonder if its low on oil and that could be causing the vibration?

Might bite the bullet and buy a new prop, if i borrow one ive only got to change it again or give away a new prop.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Could it have warped or damaged the disc.

A few years ago i had terrible vibration at high speeds and it seemed do disappeared once slowed to a lesser speed.

A few days before I had painted the caliper red and a small drip of paint had dripped onto the disc. After carefully removing the paint the vibration disappeared.

Would affect all speeds if the disc where tuching.

my guess would be the prop is out of balance as it spins on some crazy speeds @ 170mph

a wheel bearing would sound alot too if damaged not just vibrate.

could be a rear wheel needs rebalanceing aswell. that would not affect the stearing wheel either.

or even uneven pressure in the tire could make this happand at thoose speeds.

Could it have warped or damaged the disc.

A few years ago i had terrible vibration at high speeds and it seemed do disappeared once slowed to a lesser speed.

A few days before I had painted the caliper red and a small drip of paint had dripped onto the disc. After carefully removing the paint the vibration disappeared.

• 2 weeks later...