The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Adjustable electric bed advice

CJ

For the past few weeks the painkilling regime I have been on has stopped working and I find myself having less and less sleep every night - as in sleep for 2 hours then wake up in severe pain. Stay awake for 3 hours or so then sleep for 2.

Initially I thought it was the cancer in my bone area in my hips but after talking to the palliative care Doctor he is not so sure as the pain location seems to move nightly.

I sometimes get it in my hips, sometimes the lower back, sometimes upper back etc. He has recommended another bone scan to determine what is happening and has also suggested trying to sleep more upright but to do this would mean stacking up pillows and as I don't really fancy that a friend of mine suggested looking into the adjustable electric bed solution.

I was thinking of one of these with a good quality (as opposed to the recent Jimmy joke shop version I bought off ebay version) memory foam mattress / topper.

So, my question is, does anyone have any experience of using these? If so, any recommendations?

Cheap option, put a couple of bricks under the bed feet?

It may be cheap but it's is probably not the best way to achieve a regular adjustment! :)

In all seriousness, it needs to have the ability to adjust so that it has me sometimes sitting up more but also to raise my legs on occasion depending where the pain is emanating from.

When my dad was being looked after when he had cancer they had a fully adjustable electric bed, there was also an air filled mattress with multiple pockets with a controller/pump that would alternate which pockets were inflated so your weight wasn't pressing down on the same part of the body all night. They're not cheap to buy though.

When he was at home the Macmillan nurse arranged for a memory foam type full depth mattress to be loaned to us from the Community Equipment Service place, plastic coated and cleaned regularly so you don't have to worry about it not been hygienic, we didn't have to paying for this.