The mkiv Supra Owners Club

humbling experience with a WW2 veteran. - Recommend museum

SupraStar 3000

This weekend I took the miss's to the Cotswolds (btw, Bourton-on-the-Water is an amazing place and well worth a visit). During the stay I got talking to a old chap called Gerry Tyack who was your stereotypical RAF veteran, complete with handle-bar mustache and amazing wartime stories. The man operated a private aviation museum which basically comprised of some ww2 wreak relics, photos and artifacts. But for me, the really interesting stuff was his wartime stories he told. During the war, he was friends with an American p-38 pilot, and at the time, the p-38 was quite a big deal and a formidable aircraft. One evening he had the privilege of a private display by his friend and managed to take a seriously amazing photo of this p-38 flying inverted over and airbase. Was just incredibly.

So if you're in the area, into aviation and fancy some british history, i recommend you visit

http://www.wellingtonaviation.org.

Well worth the time.

Oh, and as a gift, he gave me some "window" foil ribbon that was a primitive form of wartime chaff (countermeasure).

Something I'll treasure.

:)

During the war, he was friends with an American p-38 pilot, and at the time, the p-38 was quite a big deal and a formidable aircraft. One evening he had the privilege of a private display by his friend and managed to take a seriously amazing photo of this p-38 flying inverted over and airbase.

I bet that was scary, watching a Range Rover doing an inverted flight......

Good to hear this mate. It's always very humbling to speak to these veterans. During my first few years in the raf me and a few mates took part in the veterans day in London. I had the honour to usher Victoria cross winners, top blokes and very down to earth. I loved walking through st James park and being stopped every few minutes by ww2 vets who wanted to know what life is like in the raf these days. I felt so proud that we were following in their footsteps.

Will have a butchers at this museum when I'm next in the area. Thanks for the heads up! :)

You are welcome mate.

And big respect to you too for doing your bit mate.

Must have been so amazing to parade with those men. A credit to you - Well done.

Its Nice to know in this political PC world, there are a few people around today that know the true meaning of 'sacrifice' and appreciate those, that have done so.

unfortunately, there is less and less people alive today that remember such dark times when true heros were born.

We should celebrate them, whilst we still can.

Exactly mate, it saddens me to think that these men and women are getting few and far between. That's life though, and it's a shame there are so many people in the uk who take their sacrifice for granted. The Yorkshire air museum is also worth a look if you are ever up that way. I was the first joe public allowed into their Halifax bomber restoration. Plenty of stories from the museum workers too!

Just my kind of thing :)

They have some Wellington wreckage at the Yorkshire Air Museum. The Geodetic construction (an alloy trellis, designed by Barnes Wallice of the Bouncing Bomb fame) is unbeleivably light and strong. There's a Complete Wellington at Brooklands, which is largely bare showing this amazing construct.

One of the great aircraft of the war IMO, it's geodetic frame could cope with huge amounts of battle damage, Wellington regularly returning with damage that would have destroyed any other aircraft. It was extremely versatile too. It was let down by its engines in some respects, had they fitted one of the later marques of Merlin of even Griffin engines, it would have realised its potential.

I'd love to see one of these in the air someday, we have 2 complete examples on display in the UK, but there is also the complete remains of another, which is sadly scattered across the country :(

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm203/j_s14a/77fb243b.jpg

One of the great aircraft of the war IMO, it's geodetic frame could cope with huge amounts of battle damage, Wellington regularly returning with damage that would have destroyed any other aircraft. It was extremely versatile too. It was let down by its engines in some respects, had they fitted one of the later marques of Merlin of even Griffin engines, it would have realised its potential.

I'd love to see one of these in the air someday, we have 2 complete examples on display in the UK, but there is also the complete remains of another, which is sadly scattered across the country :(

Thanks for the info mate. Would love to visit the Yorkshire Air Museum.

Have never seen a complete Wellington in the flesh, so would be worth while for me.

The museum I gave the link too also displays some Wellington wreckage showing that geodetic frame.

I think they also have a complete tail section, but i didn't see it.

Gerry Tyack actually worked on Wellingtons, so if Wimpey's on are your thing, that place is well worth a visit. :thumbs:

A friend of his during the war, made a scale model of a wellington bomber out of the window perspecs from the cockpit.

He was actually just prepaying it for the display when I met him. :)

Great stuff isn't it :)

I've never been to Brooklands, which is almost embarrassing as I love cars and aviation! :D

Yorkshire air museum is well worth a visit, if only to see the Halifax. There's also a Dehavilland Mosquito which will be running its engines shortly :cool:

I consider myself very lucky to have grown up in Elvington, 10 minutes from the museum on a push bike. I spent alot of time there over the years, and even helped assemble a Messerschmitt BF109G replica, applying the rivets which were infact peices of cereal boxes that had been through a hole punch :D

I've never been to Brooklands, which is almost embarrassing as I love cars and aviation! :D

Yorkshire air museum is well worth a visit, if only to see the Halifax. There's also a Dehavilland Mosquito which will be running its engines shortly :cool:

I consider myself very lucky to have grown up in Elvington, 10 minutes from the museum on a push bike. I spent alot of time there over the years, and even helped assemble a Messerschmitt BF109G replica, applying the rivets which were infact peices of cereal boxes that had been through a hole punch :D

Didn't even know they had a Dehavilland Mosquito with engines - Are they Merlins?

WOW! Now i'm definitely going to Yorkshire.

Didn't even know they had a Dehavilland Mosquito with engines - Are they Merlins?

WOW! Now i'm definitely going to Yorkshire.

Yep, 2 Merlins :)

It's the night fighter variant. It's lovely, but tbh the bomber version with the glazed nose is the prettier, and purer design.

The picture of the Hasting is quite relevant to the Halifax at Elvington. The Hastings design was based on the Halifax parts, and Elvingtons Halifax uses large portions of Hastings wings, without which it wouldn't have been possible to build it. Another scrapped Hastings has found its way to Canada, to help with the restoration of a Halifax there.

The picture of the Hasting is quite relevant to the Halifax at Elvington. The Hastings design was based on the Halifax parts, and Elvingtons Halifax uses large portions of Hastings wings, without which it wouldn't have been possible to build it. Another scrapped Hastings has found its way to Canada, to help with the restoration of a Halifax there.

Never knew that! Good bit of gen. Where abouts are you in relation to elvington? I used to live in selby and stay with my gran in Melbourne near pocklington during the summer, so I was an elvington regular.

Never knew that! Good bit of gen. Where abouts are you in relation to elvington? I used to live in selby and stay with my gran in Melbourne near pocklington during the summer, so I was an elvington regular.

I used to live in the Village, but now live on the outskirts of York, but it's only 5 mins drive still. I used to drink in Melbourne, on occasion :)

Same as the Mossie at Duxford. Lovely example put in the livery of a target tug! :(

Would love to see one fly, or even taxi around.

There's a couple being restored for flight in New Zealand at the moment. There's a Facebook group (called Avspecs) who regularly show pictures of the restoration process.

The Elvington one will never fly, but will taxi :)

Hopefully one day they'll get the Halifax running, that would be amazing.

There's a couple being restored for flight in New Zealand at the moment. There's a Facebook group (called Avspecs) who regularly show pictures of the restoration process.

The Elvington one will never fly, but will taxi :) Hopefully one day they'll get the Halifax running, that would be amazing.

Been following the Facebook mossie for awhile now.

Problem is, doubt she would ever make the epic journey to our shores though :(

... that said, i thought the same about the P-38, and that was at duxford last year.