The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A Little Bit Intimmidated!

Kaan W

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just start TT-Then Bpu then single and just enjoy it as I go along really.

Good advice. I pretty much got a all the parts for a short block to take insane power so that gives me a platform.

Will eventually go single with other mods.

Good advice. I pretty much got a all the parts for a short block to take insane power so that gives me a platform.

Will eventually go single with other mods.

The best thing with that method is that if other things arise you still have a car to use and can always pause when the money and timing for the next step are not right over guns blazing and nothing else. Look at people like Jamie P who had a lesser powered car before the animal he has now, You may find you don't like supra's as much after living with one day to day and also when you do it as more of a staged journey my guess is you will learn more and appreciate the power as and when you get it. I only have a NA but that does not seem to stop me dicking money at it which with the parts on there will be all redundant if I decide to go NA-T or TT but the main thing is when I get to that stage or just sell up and get a TT Bpu or whatever I will appreciate it much more than if I had dived straight in the deep end.

It's all about the journey and less the destination at times.

For a road car I'd stick to 650-700 bhp with a good broad torque band of usable power, unless you just want a drag strip tuned car that's unusable in the roads, or track

Mid sized single, possibly divided with quickspool #fun#

Its getting late, i`ll post back here tomorrow and let you know my plans but that sounds like some good advice ^^^^ :)

£40k a year isn't a huge amount to be honest considering that after tax it leaves you with £29k of which you have set aside 9k, leaving you with just £20k to live on for the rest of the year and save up for a house.

£20k a year after tax will easily pay half of a mortgage for a nice house (I assume he's going halves) living expenses and nice holidays. You London lot have it bad if your basic living costs are so much. In some respects York is just as expensive (our fuel is the most expensive in the country!) and property prices are getting on the same way. Just over £30k a year after tax used to pay for an expensive mortgage (on my own), going out twice a week, nice foreign holidays and running the 4 cars I used to own at once. (a single Supra, a 2.9 litre Corrado VR6, a Lexus GS300 and a 200sx)

What target is that Dean, to ensure you have under 10 cars on the drive but more than 5? :D

:rlol:

your percentage of failure is 100% if you don't try! and yes there are financial issues etc etc but hey thats why this forum has a for sale section! give it a shot see what happens!! if you fail and end up with a negative bank balance im sure there will be enough forum members willing to put cash in your pocket for various parts :D life's about risks! this in grand scheme of things is not a major one but potentially a worthy risk! :) take this from someone who has competed in motorcross for a number of years! you think chasing bhp on a supra is expensive haha try those lil single cylinders out for size!

You need to own a supra first not keep using the term ' my daddies supra'

Sorry, my dad had a 10 second 70s challenger before I was born, not a supra. He spent 11 years of hes life building it up with every penny he earnt to end up rolling it with in 3 weeks of completion. 10 years after this he got rid of it for 3 and a half grand and lost hes mind with hes passion for cars!

He`s not into jap cars and calls them toys, but I love them and if theres one thing to do in life is to follow in hes foot steps but with MY dream car.

Your right, I have never driven a supra. The way things are going I should have one by christmas and have my fully built short block finished by christmas to drop straight in.

What ever way I decide to go after this im sure i`ll have a good future.

A house is a long way a way yet, a good 7 years is the plan. This gives me chance to finish this project before the serious stuff in life.

One thing the Supra isn't, is a toy, unless it's an N/A! :D

A properly set up single is amazing. And it still goes round corners, unlike those Mercane muscles. ;)

Good luck with your project, but don't let it overtake you, and become an obsession, as that's very easy to do.

Just owning a decent TT BPU should be enough for most people. If you can remove the roof too, then even betterer. :)

Save for the house first, its not the answer you probably want to hear but there we go. Im 28, i know how it feels!

I was like you years ago, living at home had lots of disposable income. Serveral times had the chance to get out a whopping load and go and buy a supra, but I didnt. I stuck with MR2s for what seemed like aaaaaaaaaaaaaages.

Now some 7 years later, I have just got one. Its not the 500hp monster we all dream of when were young, its an auto TT and I love it. Yes I have already made a huge list of things I want to change/buy/uprate etc but its just not always realistic. Come september I will be a dad, we own our own home and got married last year and we both earn a decent wage. Thing to remember is why you buy a house you sit and work out all your outgoings etc and then see you have £XXX amount left over each month and thing great! In reality it always looks better on paper, take that figure and half it.

I love my Supra, only had it just over 2 weeks but wanted one for years. No its not the 6 speed TT I had my heart set on, but with all of the above you have to compromise, my auto is still a fantastic car but I just couldnt justify the extra £1000's with the wife approaching maternity leave.

Family and life comes first mate, as great as these cars are they are just cars. If come the end of the year my situation changes the supra will be the first to go which would be heart breaking but I can always buy another.

These are old cars now its not jsut the fuel and insurance its the maintenance as well, whats to say you spend £10k builing the engine and during mapping it breaks? Could you comfortably afford to rebuild and try again?

Not having a go, just speaking as someone how lets they heart rule their head most of the time!

Good luck :)

One thing this thread has taught me, a lot of people use "his" and "he's" incorrectly.

His - he owns it.

He's - He is.

Je suis!

Good luck with your build. Oh yeah, and at 23, how the hell are you on £40k after tax? I'm the same age and don't even pick up near half of what you get!! :D

I would save the cash and see how you feel in a few years sat on 50K. There are many things that come along that may seem more appealing than a Supra by the time a few years have gone by. If you buy piecemeal you may have a lot of bits, but lost "the love" as some say. At a young age, with 50K you would be in a prime position to buy something that is a good long or medium term investment. A 50K Supra won't be..... ;)

One thing this thread has taught me, a lot of people use "his" and "he's" incorrectly.

His - he owns it.

He's - He is.

Je suis!

Good luck with your build. Oh yeah, and at 23, how the hell are you on £40k after tax? I'm the same age and don't even pick up near half of what you get!! :D

LOL just goes to show you dont need to do well in english to earn a good wage :)