The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A Little Bit Intimmidated!

Kaan W

Hi,

I would start by saying since the age of about 10 I fell in love with the supra and set myself a goal, I will own a supra one day! As ive grown older I have changed my goal slightly and want to build a supra capable of producing times that would have put my dads old 70s blown challenger to shame. Well the time has come where I finally have a job worthy enough to get this project started. My goal is to be able to reach the 9 second mark what ever it takes, and drive home again without changing anything. Im currently saving £200 a week to put straight in to the project. I thought it would be a good idea to sign up to a forum for some advice and I have to say that im a little bit intimmidated! There are so many people in the UK with a modded supra and I just feel like my £200 a week is pocket money lol. I want to build this over the next 3 or 4 years which is a total of £50,000. Now although I may get laughed at, does this seem stupid? Am I talking complete nonsense? Unless something really unlucky happens to me then it will definately happen! Ive already invested £3000 in the block and am getting there slowly bit by bit.

Has anybody out there been in my position before with a build like this?

If so well done lol.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Waste of money chasing drag times especially a 9 sec run, buy a nice bpu and enjoy the car for what it is, you don't earn enough to build and maintain a 9 sec car and enjoy it on the street as well

This is my dream, as long as im alive then I will finish it and thats the way I see it :)

If my dad can do it. I must do it...

It's always cheaper buying an already built one, but it's not the same as going through the journey on building your own :)

Like I said on the other thread, if you plan your build fully with the right tuner you can save a bit of money and get where you want to go.

All the tuners on the forum are more then experienced enough to achieve those results.

How old are you? its only a car remember, dont let it rule your life, four years is a long time.

Im 23 mate, Im also trying to save for a deposit at the same time for me and the missus is where the other half of my wages go.

I would like this to go the way ive planned but I probably will just build the block up, drop that in and leave it for a platform for progress one day...

I would personally save the money first, you never know when circumstances change, you might change your mind.

I was thinking this, I have new rods, crank, pistons, bearings etc. I shall keep these for now and keep saving for now and probably buy one some day that someone else has built. Seems the logical way....

I almost have ALL the bits for a bomb proof short block shall I just keep this for a spare and save to buy one already done then? I thought its always best to do something yourself then that way you know whats what.

What will you do if the block busts or you break something? Mapping alone is fairly expensive, you need to either have a backup fund or have enough of a disposable income. Saving £200 a week is great but does that amount including the likes of insurance, tyres, petrol & maintaince?

If I were you & that was my goal & I had to achieve with the finance option you have given, I'd save for at least 2 years (£20k) then go find one for sale. Leave another £5k or so in the bank so then I could buy bits & bobs to Drag prep it, so you might have to save longer than 2 years.

What will you do if the block busts or you break something? Mapping alone is fairly expensive, you need to either have a backup fund or have enough of a disposable income. Saving £200 a week is great but does that amount including the likes of insurance, tyres, petrol & maintaince?

If I were you & that was my goal & I had to achieve with the finance option you have given, I'd save for at least 2 years (£20k) then go find one for sale. Leave another £5k or so in the bank so then I could buy bits & bobs to Drag prep it, so you might have to save longer than 2 years.

Im very well organised, I put all my wages aside for every outgoing expense possible. I earn a good 40k a year but alot of that goes on my life. The £200 a week is just to see what I can do.

If I can achieve this it will be a great example for those in simular circumstances. Im in no rush whatsoever and this will be a good project for life :)

I love a project...

how do you not know he is on 1k a week :D?

Because he is 23 and talks about money like he lives with his parents, building a big power car will be a big negative on him and his relationship if they are looking for a house

I have a tidy job but I still set targets and budgets that keep it a hobby not an obsession

Im very well organised, I put all my wages aside for every outgoing expense possible. I earn a good 40k a year but alot of that goes on my life. The £200 a week is just to see what I can do.

If I can achieve this it will be a great example for those in simular circumstances. Im in no rush whatsoever and this will be a good project for life :)

I love a project...

£40k a year isn't a huge amount to be honest considering that after tax it leaves you with £29k of which you have set aside 9k, leaving you with just £20k to live on for the rest of the year and save up for a house.

Because he is 23 and talks about money like he lives with his parents, building a big power car will be a big negative on him and his relationship if they are looking for a house

I have a tidy job but I still set targets and budgets that keep it a hobby not an obsession

What target is that Dean, to ensure you have under 10 cars on the drive but more than 5? :D

£40k a year isn't a huge amount to be honest considering that after tax it leaves you with £29k of which you have set aside 9k, leaving you with just £20k to live on for the rest of the year and save up for a house.

What target is that Dean, to ensure you have under 10 cars on the drive but more than 5? :D

Without sounding like grandpa, I have owned too many performance cars to know chasing power is always way way way more expensive than you think, I only spend now what I can afford without any effect on the rest of my life, you have to keep it real especially when you have a new house to buy, now where is that single kit again lol