The mkiv Supra Owners Club

US Car Rental, Which Car?

SPG

Hi everyone,

I am getting married this Sunday and then going on Honeymoon on the Wednesday after that. I will be away for just over a Month and am traveling all over the place rather than going to one location as we both love to get out and and see the sights.

The Honeymoon consists of Singapore - Sydney - Fiji - L.A.

Getting back to the point, I am totally set for the rest of the Trip but I am now left with the choice of rental car whilst out in L.A. so any suggestions would be welcome. I have seen a Convertible Mustang, and the New Dodge Charger, but is there anything else I may wanna swap to.

Thanks in advance for all your help [GRIN][/GRIN]

My parents for their silver wedding anniversary went to Arizona and rented a white mustang convertible but on arrival were offered a free upgrade to a Corvette ZR1!!!! My dad being a muppet, had always wanted to drive the Apache trail in a mustang and so turned it down!!

He loved it and i would suggest it as the choice unless you get offered a Chevvy!!

Congratulations aswell mate. Hope you have a fantastic day :D

Iv had a shelby mustang and a corvette from hertz. The mustang wasn't so great but looked like it ate babies for breakfast. The corvette I drove from Orlando to key west (7 hours) and it was great. Very similar to the supra in driving position and comfort.

Iv also had a charger (rubbish) nowhere for your right foot and just not great to drive. We also had a big ford suv which was great. And a big KIA 7 seated which was good too

Hi everyone,

I am getting married this Sunday and then going on Honeymoon on the Wednesday after that. I will be away for just over a Month and am traveling all over the place rather than going to one location as we both love to get out and and see the sights.

The Honeymoon consists of Singapore - Sydney - Fiji - L.A.

Getting back to the point, I am totally set for the rest of the Trip but I am now left with the choice of rental car whilst out in L.A. so any suggestions would be welcome. I have seen a Convertible Mustang, and the New Dodge Charger, but is there anything else I may wanna swap to.

Thanks in advance for all your help [GRIN][/GRIN]

We did Vegas then Florida for our honeymoon two years ago. We booked a standard car but upgraded when we arrived in Florida. By not prebooking the upgrade we negotiated a far reduced rate than we could have done by booking in advance. You have to take what upgrades they have at that time of course so I don't recommend this approach if you are flying into the middle of no where.

We hired the new Camero. It was very very new at the time of our honeymoon. Bumblebee. 12 miles on it. It was a great looking car but could only fit 1 suitcase in the boot (at a push) and the automatic was appaulling. The American's kept looking at it though.

Re convertibles... they sound nice but when its in the 90's you are going to appreciate a roof and aircon.

I just got back from Miami, rented the Mustang convertible, great fun! The bog standard model the rental company buys is gutless but still the best way to see the world. I did the LA - Vegas drive a few years back too in a rubbish cheap rential and wished the whole time I had gone for a convertible!

I hired a red mustang conv when I was in florida - it was something I always wanted and cost quite a bit extra with hertz. It wasn't the big engined one though, just the 4 litre (just lol). Felt sluggish and like driving a boat but hey, we looked really cool :D

Soft top was great, just watch the wind/sun burn when on long journeys - and dont leave the roof down when parked the black interion gets red hot. Gotta be done though just to tick a life box. Drank petrol like there was a hole in the tank but very cheap to fill up. I have some pics somewhere...

Good choice!!

Cheers buddy, GT500 should be fun!!!

Congrat's Sunny, have a good trip mate.

Thanks Ibrar, not a patch on my usual trip to Speedwell road buddy :D

Yeah avoid convertibles tbh. End up using crap loads of suncream and still being hot :p

We had a seabring convertible. It was rubbish and we got sunburnt

I am use to the hot weather buddy as i live in Scotland :)

I just got back from Miami, rented the Mustang convertible, great fun! The bog standard model the rental company buys is gutless but still the best way to see the world. I did the LA - Vegas drive a few years back too in a rubbish cheap rential and wished the whole time I had gone for a convertible!

Toally agree, gotta be a Vert for Cali too

I hired a red mustang conv when I was in florida - it was something I always wanted and cost quite a bit extra with hertz. It wasn't the big engined one though, just the 4 litre (just lol). Felt sluggish and like driving a boat but hey, we looked really cool :D

I hope the 500 feels decent

Soft top was great, just watch the wind/sun burn when on long journeys - and dont leave the roof down when parked the black interion gets red hot. Gotta be done though just to tick a life box. Drank petrol like there was a hole in the tank but very cheap to fill up. I have some pics somewhere...

Good advice :)