The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Full Engine Rebuild

Chris Bailey

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2K wouldn't cover a full rebuild either, not with the stem seals and oil pump. Best bet is speak to Paul and ask him what's being done (and just as importantly, why - with what aim?) Neither of those items will add power. As has been said earlier, a full rebuild would entail far more items, more work and more £s.

I take it a leak down test showed a problem, strange how you and dad go from saying we have only a little money to spend on the car to lets rebuild the engine when it prob does not need anything other than the pump and VSOS !!!! If your baseing the reasoning on a dyno run done in a rushed manner on a charity day then thats madness, when we are trying to dyno as many cars as poss we cannot tie them in and keep making adjustments to get the best reading, I doubt any cars read that low on the day but with more time you may have gained say 10hp, as for reading low my car made 603 hp the day before and according to Terry saunders the turbo maxxes out at around 600hp and a 2 ltr seat made 453 hp yesterday so I dont think it reads low at all:blink: I think your Supra ownership is going to be a very short and expensive one because both you and your dad do not seem to be able to relax and make an informed decision, he decided to try a new exhaust, but before even fitting it which I told him you could do at Austec for free as part of your work experience he decides to rebuild an engine, absolute madness. As for an exhaust not effecting power, what a load of bollox, Mark Newman lost 70 hp between exhausts and they were 3". I must say you guys are the customers garages dream of.

Yeah i remember there was a black supra which was fully bpu and has hybrids @ 1.4 bar and it made around 360bhp not sure what bar he was running at though - But even that seemed low for hybrids.

A man was walking with his grandson and said to him, grandson do you see all these houses, I built these but do people call me Pepe the house builder??? No they do not. Do you see all these roads? I built them, do they call me Pepe the road builder ? No they do not, see all the gardens, I built them, do they call me Pepe the builder of gardens??? No they do not !!!! But you s***g the one sheep and !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know I have NEVER been told my dyno reads too high LOL. We had one clown tell us it was 300hp down on his yank engined Capri and he did not want to pay his bill, he told us the Capri was at least 850hp !!!! So i offered the solution of putting his 850 hp Crapi against the old black car when it was around 700hp on a mile length of dual carriageway, I said if he could pull away from me he would not have to pay the bill, he declined !!!!

If you are chasing HP prepare to spend a LOT of money.

That is a point Dnk, but ive seen VSOS go hard on very low mileage cars before !!!!

It can be just an age thing i guess but surely the oil pump will be fine ? a simple test should show

if its kicking out enough oil pressure, mines fine and done 134k.

Unless the owner wants a special engine building then surely its a case of do some checks, leak down and oil pressure and if okay whip the head off and pop the vsos on and job done.

It can be just an age thing i guess but surely the oil pump will be fine ? a simple test should show

if its kicking out enough oil pressure, mines fine and done 134k.

Unless the owner wants a special engine building then surely its a case of do some checks, leak down and oil pressure and if okay whip the head off and pop the vsos on and job done.

I would agree with that Dnk, we built a 130,000 mile UK engine, it was like new inside, it was criminal to build it but the customer wanted to keep the car 'matching numbers' he had had it from it being a demonstrator !!! Why do we think we can always improve on what Toyota do (when there is no need, this car will prob only ever be BPU) we take the spoilers off when Toyota deemed it too dangerous to sell them spoilerless in Europe (spoiler cost 9mph BTW) and the Supra is the only car the Met police have had that has passed their brake test and used its factory brakes !!!!

Well the valve stem seals needed replacing and so did the oil pump so apparently thats nearly £2000 inc labour - So my dad said just fully rebuild the engine then we know everything is okay :) Little disappointed that the car only made 340bhp when its fully bpu'd but the 2.5inch exhaust is restricting the power so a new exhaust will be put on the car in the near future.

2000... for valve and oil pump..........

YIKES

2000... for valve and oil pump..........

YIKES

So you think thats expensive to remove the engine, strip the whole top end off and front of the motor, then strip the head down to a bare head and clean it, remove 24 springs and collets and replace 24 seals, then re seat 24 valves and put the whole thing back together and refit it in the car ???? When people pay guys like Dave Rowe about £1K to turn up and plug a laptop in and push buttons for a couple of hours ???

I hope Pauls prices are plus gaskets and parts or he will be seriously out of pocket !!!! I wonder why we are concentrating on Porsche owners more and more !!!!:eyebrows::rolleyes::blink:

So you think thats expensive to remove the engine, strip the whole top end off and front of the motor, then strip the head down to a bare head and clean it, remove 24 springs and collets and replace 24 seals, then re seat 24 valves and put the whole thing back together and refit it in the car ???? When people pay guys like Dave Rowe about £1K to turn up and plug a laptop in and push buttons for a couple of hours ???

I hope Pauls prices are plus gaskets and parts or he will be seriously out of pocket !!!! I wonder why we are concentrating on Porsche owners more and more !!!!:eyebrows::rolleyes::blink:

i just never knew how much it would cost ;)........

they have more money? :p

I take it a leak down test showed a problem, strange how you and dad go from saying we have only a little money to spend on the car to lets rebuild the engine when it prob does not need anything other than the pump and VSOS !!!! If your baseing the reasoning on a dyno run done in a rushed manner on a charity day then thats madness, when we are trying to dyno as many cars as poss we cannot tie them in and keep making adjustments to get the best reading, I doubt any cars read that low on the day but with more time you may have gained say 10hp, as for reading low my car made 603 hp the day before and according to Terry saunders the turbo maxxes out at around 600hp and a 2 ltr seat made 453 hp yesterday so I dont think it reads low at all:blink: I think your Supra ownership is going to be a very short and expensive one because both you and your dad do not seem to be able to relax and make an informed decision, he decided to try a new exhaust, but before even fitting it which I told him you could do at Austec for free as part of your work experience he decides to rebuild an engine, absolute madness. As for an exhaust not effecting power, what a load of bollox, Mark Newman lost 70 hp between exhausts and they were 3". I must say you guys are the customers garages dream of.

Would just like to point out that my dad has arranged all of engine rebuild etc - If he wants to spend his money on the rebuild then thats up to him. All we both want is a 100% engine without oil leaks and blue and black smoke. Yes i'd love a single turbo conversion but he doesnt want that he's quite happy running bpu.