The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Converting an old toilet to dual flush (yep - really).

Digsy

My circa 1996 built house unsurprisingly has a circa 1996 toilet with a single flush action which completely empties the cystern every time (approx 10 litres?). What with all the recent talk of hosepipe bans and water shortages, I can see water being the next "thing" that we get clobbered on for household bills. The amount of water I literally pour down the toilet bothers me, so I have been looking into retrofitting a dual flush valve (universal fit kits seem pretty easy to find for about £20).

The only thing I am worried about is that more modern toilets are designed differently so that it is easier to flush them using much less water. I don't want to go to the bother of fitting one of these only to be confronted with floaters. Has anyone fitted one of these kits and had good (or otherwise) experiences with them?

They're generally crap :)

Bend the arm on the float valve a little downward, which will store slightly less water in the cistern :)

In my experience, people often have to flush the rubbish Valves more than once, so it can be a false economy.

Yeah, or I was thinking that I could try one of those things that you put in the cystern to displace the water, too. I measured it tonight and I reckon it holds about 12 litres. Its very tempting to do something. I think modern toilets flush using half that amount.

Thing is, I recently fitted a modern toilet in my ex girlfriend's house and that came with a dual flush but its great - you almost never needed to use the *ahem* "big" flush at all, plus the cystern refilled really quickly and quietly, whereas mine takes ages. I think I probably need a new fill valve, too.

I'm wondering if there will be any issues in fitting a modern valve to an older toilet.

Thing is, I recently fitted a modern toilet in my ex girlfriend's house and that came with a dual flush but its great - you almost never needed to use the *ahem* "big" flush at all, plus the cystern refilled really quickly and quietly, whereas mine takes ages. I think I probably need a new fill valve, too.

I'm wondering if there will be any issues in fitting a modern valve to an older toilet.

AFAIK the hole out the bottom of cisterns will always be the same, the kits come with all sorts of adjustments for cistern height, so you should be OK. BEst way to find out is to suck it and see, not literally of course, that would be disgusting.

I'm well into this job now. Got a kit with a dual flush with adjustable small and bog flushes so hopefully it'll do the trick once its installed, so no bricks necessary :). One thing that amazed me is considering how tiny the new gubbins is compared to the old fashioned fill valve and flush, its all been designed so that it cunningly only just fits even inside my gargantuan cystern. The other thing that amazed me even more was the sheer amount of limescale that I had to chip away before I could start to reassemble things. The cystern probably holds an extra litre of water now!

Anyway, due to the connection spigot on the fill valve being 5mm longer than the old one, and the filler plumbing being all solid pipework I now have to make up a spacer so that the fill valve sits at the right height (I doubt I could cut 5mm off the spigot squarely enough). Hence tonight I have no flushing toilet, which could be an issue as I have a curry in the oven for dinner :)

Can i nominate this for thread of the year?

I have nothing useful to add. All i know about loo's is that you shouldn't leave the lid up or women fall in.

The other thing is have you noticed how amazingly far you fall if you forget to put the seat down?

Anyway, the conversion is done, and withouth going into details its passed all the tests I can throw at it :) Take that, Anglian Water!