The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Incar cam-cum-accident recorder-cum-car tracker?

jonathanc

There are many times whilst driving I wished I can safely take a quick snapshot of the view ahead of me or record short videos in HD. I would also like a device which can track my car and view it on a website somewhere. (ie view on Google map where I've been, speed etc etc)

I am currently learning to create an app in Android that does most of the job but it is taking a while as I have to also build the webpage ... So I am wondering if anyone know of such a device? I am pretty sure it was mentioned before but I need some help to search for the name...

Cheers!

I have a HKS DMR in my car, front and rear cameras, records all the time i am driving, has built in GPS.

http://www.sumopower.com/product/hks-dmr---direct-multi-recorder-49010-ak001

Thanks a lot JamieP. I will check it out.

I just can't to remember the name but pretty sure someone post something similiar a few months back. Just a nice HD camera which also have nice GPS function showing route, speed etc...

I'm using this camera in my car

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120755716326?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It records in 720p and 1080p have HDMI output, you can set up clip lenght 1/3/5 minutes, when card is full it automatically get back to first clip and overwrites it. You can set it up to start recording when you start up car (power cable needs to be connected), or react on movement etc.

it does not have a gps tho...

Maybe this one would suit you:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-FULL-HD-1080P-Camera-Black-Box-DVR-GPS-/130582397488?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item1e67514230

I would also like a device which can track my car and view it on a website somewhere. (ie view on Google map where I've been, speed etc etc)

There are a few subscription systems in use at the moment JC with 20-second updating capacity via parellel-12 GPS; intergrated comms, emergency response and multi-video capture capacity of several hours. They aren't cheap though.

There are a few subscription systems in use at the moment JC with 20-second updating capacity via parellel-12 GPS; intergrated comms, emergency response and multi-video capture capacity of several hours. They aren't cheap though.

Found some but mostly commercial use.. was wondering if there's any for personal use. I might be able to create something similiar with HTC Desire and Android SDK but will take ages and results not as good...

Thanks Konrad :) Got some interesting stuff through the 2nd url!

I'm using this camera in my car

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120755716326?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It records in 720p and 1080p have HDMI output, you can set up clip lenght 1/3/5 minutes, when card is full it automatically get back to first clip and overwrites it. You can set it up to start recording when you start up car (power cable needs to be connected), or react on movement etc.

it does not have a gps tho...

Maybe this one would suit you:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-FULL-HD-1080P-Camera-Black-Box-DVR-GPS-/130582397488?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item1e67514230

Found some but mostly commercial use.. was wondering if there's any for personal use. I might be able to create something similiar with HTC Desire and Android SDK but will take ages and results not as good...

It's all commercial stuff to be honest JC. We have personal trackers with GPS in our phones but once again its a subscription service.

I have a "smart witness" inboard gps, g-meter, it records constantly and overwrites when the sd card is full, any impact is highlighted in the playback timeline, so if someone hits you the gps , speed, force and location on googlemaps is recorded

This has come in handy with an insurance claim in the past

SmartWitness SVC100GPS Car Journey Accident Camera

It's all commercial stuff to be honest JC. We have personal trackers with GPS in our phones but once again its a subscription service.

True. To be fair if you have your own server you can setup Android phone to send GPS coordinates to the sql backend. Just a lot of hassle to setup and design the web ui etc...

I have a "smart witness" inboard gps, g-meter, it records constantly and overwrites when the sd card is full, any impact is highlighted in the playback timeline, so if someone hits you the gps , speed, force and location on googlemaps is recorded

This has come in handy with an insurance claim in the past

Sounds nice! Again I bet its a commercial thing though. Sounds like stuff you put in delivery vehicles etc.

RoadHawk is the only way to go IMHO. They're brilliant. My Dad and brother both use them and have caught some pretty horrific driving! They seem expensive at £200 but you've only got to have 1 non-fault accident that you get blamed for and it's paid for itself instantly!!