The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blown seal or worse?

Rummy

Afternoon!

Backstory - (Manual N/A, J-spec) Slowly been losing oil after long drives so I top up pretty much before most journeys. After the car has warmed up in situ there is often a puddle of oil on the ground. I topped up today as normal and overfilled so the level showed above full, which I was slightly worried about.

Half an hour into journey all was fine until I accelerated onto a duel carriage way and that's when I noticed the smell of fresh oil. Shortly after, the water temp rose into the red followed by the engine temp hitting the red. Exiting the carriageway white smoke came from the rear and engine but only at low speed.

I pulled over to investigate and found evidence of oil sprayed around mid/top of engine and fresh oil over the back of the car. The dip stick (wiped) still showed above full too. Upon restarting the engine it struggled to catch and made some nasty clanking sounds, but once started sounded ok. Water temp went down but engine stayed high and the clutch started to slip on the limp back home.

So is it likely to be a blown seal(s)? top or bottom end? or worse, mechanical?

I'm going to check the level again when it's cooled a bit more and see what other interesting sounds come out.

Help/Advice appreciated before I take it to a garage to get ripped off.

Many thanks

Losing oil and the clutch slipping makes me think the rear main seal might be gone.

There may be more than just the one issue, oil leak wont effect water temps, clanking sound on fire up dont sound good, you need to get it to somebody that knows what they are looking at.

Thanks guys. I investigated further and it turns out one of the coolant pipes to the top rear of engine has ruptured. So that explains that. I topped up the rad and the engine temp went back down and no clanking! Maybe the clutch slip was due to the engine overheating so much the oil got too thin? I dunno..just hoping!

OK, here's the new sketch. Located and replaced the split water heater hose. Refilled cooling sytem. Test drive.

Outcome, several times the coolant kept getting pushed to almost overflow in the expansion tank and blew the lid off. Rad cap off - no coolant seen in rad. I've tried several times to bleed the air out with heater on full with the same result. So I took a quick look for leaks - none found. Took the oil fill cap off and the white cream sludge of death was evident on the bottom of the cap :(

Soooooooo, BHG? If so (FFS) what sort of cost am I expecting to fix it?

Losing oil and the clutch slipping makes me think the rear main seal might be gone.

There may be more than just the one issue, oil leak wont effect water temps, clanking sound on fire up dont sound good, you need to get it to somebody that knows what they are looking at.

:yeahthat: