The mkiv Supra Owners Club

dog dilema

barneybrendan

Our male beagle has had a bit of a funny tempermant lately,becoming possesive things and snapping aggresivly at certain things.He will growl then turn and be pretty aggresive if for instance you try and take something away from him.This is not something he usually does to me though.A fiew weeks ago he pinched his grooming brush,i walked up to him in the garden and took it away and jokingly tapped him on his butt with it.This was not a smack litterly a tap to say you little buggar.Upon doing this he actually turned around growling and snapped at me not just one snap but like snap snap snap with a type of growl in with it.As soon as he done i faced him and made him sit and then lay down on his back.He new he had done something very bad.This was actually the first time i had him turn on me and actually seen what he was like.He is still a full male and nearly 5 now.Apparently he is very disobediant when i am not home .Today he was in the garden with my 5 year old daughter and he pinched her toy.I wasnt home as i was working.Apparently she smacked his bum and he turned on her grabbing her top causing a fiew red marks on her side.

I am now in such a dilema as to what to do.My first instinct was to take him vets and have him put to sleep but i just dont know.My missis will now not go anywhere near him and my daughter is petrified of him.I am thinking about what if he had caught her proper and may do it again.No dog should ever turn like that our female beagle is such a dope .

Please share your opinions on what you would do.

muzzle in the mean time, and seek professional help.

Please, please try to rehome rather than PTS, you may not be able to manage him but the likelyhood is it could be corrected, just wouldnt advise this with a child around.

If your a bit of a hands off owner, its worth coming down on him like a ton of bricks when he does it and truely put him in his place, we have dealt with a couple of rescue dogs that have been posessive and we have weaned it out of them by having a completely no tolerance approach.

Its the only circumstance that i would ever recommend physical correction, when your families safety is at question.

muzzle in the mean time, and seek professional help.

Please, please try to rehome rather than PTS, you may not be able to manage him but the likelyhood is it could be corrected, just wouldnt advise this with a child around.

If your a bit of a hands off owner, its worth coming down on him like a ton of bricks when he does it and truely put him in his place, we have dealt with a couple of rescue dogs that have been posessive and we have weaned it out of them by having a completely no tolerance approach.

Its the only circumstance that i would ever recommend physical correction, when your families safety is at question.

totally agree, top advise here!

Dog would have to go, Kids saftey comes first.

This.!!

I tried for over 12 months to "rectify" our problem dog. In the end I had to concede that I was fighting a losing battle. Ellis wasn't born then but Vicki was seven months pregnant. I took him to the local dogs home and paid to have him taken off our hands. This was really difficult for me after 18 months of having him as he was ok the majority of the time.

In essence Brendan, you are living with a hand grenade and nobody know at what time it is going to go off. If a dog would have snapped at me I would have booted it to show who is top dog.

I personally would not take any chances with this as you'll be sorry if there is some damage done to your daughter. Dog bites are nasty.

H.

Might be worth considering a re-home with someone with no kids and that will keep him inline and well diciplined as well as giving him a great quality of life.

possibly a retired person with previous experience of dogs who's in need of a companion etc.

personally i know i could never trust a dog who had snapped at a kid. And is he gonna take a proper bite next time ??

He is fighting for his position in a house. Heavy handed tactic usually works, he needs to know you are stronger then him and his position in chain is at the end. If you do not know how to do it or you feel sorry for him being smacked properly - ask for proffesional advice.