The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Air rifle & kit

j_jza80

Hey guys, just thought I'd check to see I anyone had what I wanted :)

I'm looking for an air rifle to do a bit of field shooting with. It must be a non FAC rifle, but as close to the 12ft/lb limit as possible.

I'd prefer a pre charged pneumatic (PCP) but would consider other guns on their merits. I'm looking for a decent brand, so something like Weihrauch, Day State, Air Arms etc would be preferred.

I'm looking for a complete setup, so divers bottles, stirrup pumps, scopes etc would all be preferred.

Cheers, Jason.

If you want cheap and new, look at a BSA Lightning. I bought mine from my local gun shop (well got it for my b'day 10 years ago, has it really been that long?!) for £200 inc. scope and silencer. It's at 12ft/lbs and has been a great gun. Very accurate out to long distances and the only issue was when my mate pulled the trigger while loading it which snapped the barrel up and must have weakened the spring at it snapped a week later. New one was less than £20 IIRC.

A good break barrel rifle would be a good option unless you want to keep quiet for hunting.

If you want cheap and new, look at a BSA Lightning. I bought mine from my local gun shop (well got it for my b'day 10 years ago, has it really been that long?!) for £200 inc. scope and silencer. It's at 12ft/lbs and has been a great gun. Very accurate out to long distances and the only issue was when my mate pulled the trigger while loading it which snapped the barrel up and must have weakened the spring at it snapped a week later. New one was less than £20 IIRC.

A good break barrel rifle would be a good option unless you want to keep quiet for hunting.

I almost bought a Weihrauch HW98 yesterday, but at £440 it's alot of money for a break barrel. Beautiful gun though.

Hi, I have an air arms TX 220 .22 with scope and bag, 300 pellets, I have moved on to shotguns now so this is spare

310 Ono

Thanks for the reply, I'd really prefer a PCP and wouldn't want to spend over £200 on an under lever gun. Nice rifle though, get it up on UK gun rooms and it should sell pretty quickly.

I can recommend the Bsa ultra or the AA s410. Had both but sold the AA a while ago and kept the BSA as it suits me better. I may sell for the right price but it would probably be no cheaper than you could buy elsewhere. I would always have Pcp from now on.

i might have a pcp air rifle with scope, stirup pump and bag for sale. Think the mag holds 7-9 pellets. Its about 5-6 years old now but only used it a few times and has been in the bed ever since. Not sure of the make but was over a grands worth of gun when i brought it. If your interested give me a pm and i will dig and out take a few pics and make sure its all in order.

I can recommend the Bsa ultra or the AA s410. Had both but sold the AA a while ago and kept the BSA as it suits me better. I may sell for the right price but it would probably be no cheaper than you could buy elsewhere. I would always have Pcp from now on.

Theres a BSA ultra in the local gunsmiths, fantastic little Carbine IMO. It had a really good sight too. Was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I might revisit it. Looked like it had one of the lower fixing screws ripped out of the stock though?

Do you use a stirrup or a tank?

i might have a pcp air rifle with scope, stirup pump and bag for sale. Think the mag holds 7-9 pellets. Its about 5-6 years old now but only used it a few times and has been in the bed ever since. Not sure of the make but was over a grands worth of gun when i brought it. If your interested give me a pm and i will dig and out take a few pics and make sure its all in order.

I may well be interested, depends on the spec etc, and pictures would be good. My only concern is that PCPs don't react well to long term storage.

Theres a BSA ultra in the local gunsmiths, fantastic little Carbine IMO. It had a really good sight too. Was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I might revisit it. Looked like it had one of the lower fixing screws ripped out of the stock though?

Do you use a stirrup or a tank?

I use a tank, although it is out of test atm. It is on my list of things to do. I'm 6'8" and people always laugh at me as they say it looks more like an air pistol :) I have replaced the bsa moderator with a weirauch silencer so it is now a more standard length and feels a lot better balanced, I bought a cheapish 6-24 illuminated reticle scope from my local farm dealer for around £50 and it really is the dogs dangly bits. I have tried the ones from ebay that look similar and they are shockingly bad. The one I have now has only been zeroed in once in the last year, whereas the ebay one just couldn't hold a zero.

I'm on the lookout for a clulite gun lite now and its all I'll ever need. the only thing lacking is the pressure gauge that the s410 had.

I highly recommend them, I do prefer the older ultras like mine as the stock looks better imo.

I can recommend a weihrauch HW100. My best mate has one and although it's not as accurate as my Steyr (nothing really is lol) it's about the best on the market in its price range. With air rifles it really does depend on what you want to spend so letting people know the budget would help chap. I spent in excess of a grand on mine but the first one I had a Gamo springer was as effective as the PCP I now have and half the ball ache of having to constantly charge it so I wouldn't instantly dismiss a high quality springer.

I can recommend a weihrauch HW100. My best mate has one and although it's not as accurate as my Steyr (nothing really is lol) it's about the best on the market in its price range. With air rifles it really does depend on what you want to spend so letting people know the budget would help chap. I spent in excess of a grand on mine but the first one I had a Gamo springer was as effective as the PCP I now have and half the ball ache of having to constantly charge it so I wouldn't instantly dismiss a high quality springer.

I'm looking to spend £700-£800 max on a complete setup. I'm not bothered about having a new gun, I'd much prefer a good used one. I'm very temped by a new BSA Ultra tactical multi shot, a complete setup would come in at under £600 including a tank and scope and I love how mobile the carbine setup is. I suspect that accuracy at 30 yards+ will be the payoff though.

I had a Gamo springer ......................I wouldn't instantly dismiss a high quality springer.

Isn't that a bit contradicting? :)

I have heard good things about the hw100 etc but I wouldn't have another springer, I've had a few from gamos upwards and although some of them were ok I've never found any hassles at all about having a pcp.

Most of it is about personal preference about what feels right.

Isn't that a bit contradicting? :)

I have heard good things about the hw100 etc but I wouldn't have another springer, I've had a few from gamos upwards and although some of them were ok I've never found any hassles at all about having a pcp.

Most of it is about personal preference about what feels right.

Yes I know what you mean. What I was getting at is that a cheapy springer like the Gamo I had was and is surprisingly good, so something like a high quality Weihrauch springer is not to be scoffed at just because it isn't a PCP is all I meant.

£400 inc scope, case and sound mod

The bsa sound moderator is pretty useless, it was only put on by bsa to make the rifle the right length to be a legal length iirc. I would try and get a weirauch silencer thrown in. The spare 10 shot magazines are also £30ish so I'd try and get one of those as a spare too. The air reservoir is fairly small, You get around 40 useful shots from a fill, which is fine depending on what you use it for. I go ratting a fair bit and if you were to shoot 40 rats in an evening I would be surprised :) There is a good following on the Bsa forum and as with supras there is some clever experts that blueprint them and fit larger reservoirs etc for a fairly small fee.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.