The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GTR totalled at the ring

bignum

I was there - he went into turn 1 so fast the car went clean over the barriers so all the clean up work was being done on a whole different part of the circuit where you couldn't have crashed if you tried. All I care about is he caused early closure of the track day, which cost a pretty penny to attend let me tell you. The next day, the marshalls had put out a load of cones and speed limit signs to warn anyone else.

Do you not get a refund due to this? I'm sure the ring could put the cost to him to pay due to his shocking driving!?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want a refund when someone crashes at a track day? :blink:

Motorsport is dangerous. It's a risk you take when you sign up.

No but if some nob who thinks he is gods gift to the corner can clearly be seen going into a bend that's a 40mph rated corner at 100mph that is a little more than a racing incident! Especially as he is a "professional" if I were the ring I would make him refund the loss of track time to the other participants to make an example of his idiocy!

No but if some nob who thinks he is gods gift to the corner can clearly be seen going into a bend that's a 40mph rated corner at 100mph that is a little more than a racing incident! Especially as he is a "professional" if I were the ring I would make him refund the loss of track time to the other participants to make an example of his idiocy!

If you look at it like that then it's your idiocy to choose to go out on track with people when you have no idea how good - or otherwise - they are. Let's face it, 90% of people at trackdays think they're "god's gift" and you'd be mad to assume otherwise. For my money, someone with genuine racing ability is a much safer track companion than a novice. The fact that Doran has an X-Games gold medal sort of shows he can drive.

If you look at it like that then it's your idiocy to choose to go out on track with people when you have no idea how good - or otherwise - they are. Let's face it, 90% of people at trackdays think they're "god's gift" and you'd be mad to assume otherwise. For my money, someone with genuine racing ability is a much safer track companion than a novice. The fact that Doran has an X-Games gold medal sort of shows he can drive.

Not denying him being a good driver! But then brings this crash into even more speculation! He along with any other participant has a duty of care to the other participants and should know what speed he could take a corner like that at and thus not have entered it at 100mph and was lucky to walk away an not have injured anyone else when trying to be the big man!

I'm all for trying to push the car to its limits and your own abilities but this just shouts out to me as idiotic!

His though process must have been a little like this

Ooohh hear comes a vette, hmm I'm a pro so not going to let him get the better of me, oh wait I'm doing a ton into a hard bend!

How's the windscreen going to taste??

I'm only playing Gaz I'm frustrated as was going to do some work on my car today and am stuck sat at a fire station bored and thought posting a comment on hear would get a good response :)

I'm with you on the whole track day thing and love doing them my self and you do get some dimwits there but can't deny the enjoyment you get out of participating :)

But in this case he says his brakes failed, and that he approched the corner at speed because he couldn't scrub the speed off. If that's true then it could have happened to anyone.

Also, the 'duty of care' thing doesn't apply here either. There wasn't anyone else involved. Unless you mean 'duty of care to the bank balances of everyone on track'... in which case you'll be paying for their tyres and brake pads too :)

But in this case he says his brakes failed, and that he approched the corner at speed because he couldn't scrub the speed off. If that's true then it could have happened to anyone.

Also, the 'duty of care' thing doesn't apply here either. There wasn't anyone else involved. Unless you mean 'duty of care to the bank balances of everyone on track'... in which case you'll be paying for their tyres and brake pads too :)

You could say there wasn't anyone else involved due more to luck than judgment! Also i agree "if" the brakes did fail on a car its not all his fault but a car this new and tuned by such a company there needs to be some serious finger pointing as someone could have been seriously injured or died!

Im with brad on this, the guy is a liar as we all know his brakes didnt fail.

He forgot the track and lost his ability quite quick doing that speed into a slow corner, both me and my brother do trackdays and do have some hairy moments whch if you drive your car hard your going to get.

I have uk calipers with porterfield pads and have never had brake loss to get myself into that sort of situation or anything close.

Ive crashed several supra's as you might remember and i have never blamed the car, totally my fault both times BUT im obviously a bigger man then him BUT then i have nothing to lose by admitting it was all me, where as he has.

I also think it was more luck then judgment he didnt die or hurt another track member, or even a marshall that might have been there.

We will never know the real facts as its not good for the driver or the company who tuned the car BUT this wont put me off trackdays or the ring trips, although i wouldnt do a trackday there for this reason, id rather do a slower lap on a tourist day and have more fun racing cars.

Just my opinion and as im a nobody dont count for much lol.

He drove way too fast down the pit straight where _most_ people were either cooling down or exiting the pits at low speed with no real distance from the pit exit to the first corner. Given that it was a track day, not a test day, he was driving like a dangerous idiot. If he wanted to go fast, he should have been doing it on the main straight on the nordschlief. Would I expect a refund? No, it was a trackday - it happens. Did the ring lose money? No, because the trackday was fully paid for, it wasn't TF, and repair costs would normally be recovered from the crashed driver. I'm can still be annoyed I lost more than the last hour of the day I'd paid for though - plenty of time for 4 or 5 more laps.