The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel Leak - Identifying a pipe

JamesArup

Howdy folks! Been a while!

So I need a little help from someone who knows the fuel system better than I do to identify a hose that has sprung a fairly significant fuel leak. The problem is that all the information that I have about this is coming from my Father in England, while I am out living and working in Madrid, so I may not have all of the detailed facts.

Basically, I asked him to have a look over the car after I came home for Xmas, really looking forward to driving it, and never got the chance because it was running like a dog with crazy misfires etc. He's now identified that problem as the not too unfamiliar perished coil-pack connectors. New ones of those are on the way (thx Mr. Manley). However, whilst investigating he also noticed a significant amount of fuel leaking from one specific braided line. I am trying to identify exactly what that line is, where it is and where I can get a new one. I am not sure if it's part of the standard setup, or if it's part of the upgraded fuel system that I have. I am guessing that the hose itself has worn and it just needs to be replaced .. a little strange as the system isn't that old, but these things can happen. I have attached 2 pictures that my Father sent me of the hose in question, but it's very hard to reach, so the pictures aren't great.

The first picture (fuel_line1) shows where the line comes in just under the pipes with the green stripes that go into either end of the fuel injection rail. The second picture (fuel_line2) is towards the other end of the pipe in question, under the green striped pipe, where it quickly disappears under the passenger footwell into what my Father describes as a "red metal filter type thing" :D

Can anyone help me identify exactly what this line is, what it does, whether it's standard or new and where I can get a new one that won't dribble all my hard-earned cash over the M25!

Thanks very much,

Cheers, James

fuel_line1.jpg

fuel_line2.jpg

The red metal tube thing is probably an aftermarket inline fuel filter. The braided pipe probably feeds that tee which branches off into the green stripe hoses. That means it's your fuel feed pipe. It's all aftermarket, non-stock stuff.

Do you know where the leak is occurring? If it's a loose connection it can be fixed easily and cheaply. The fuel may be coming out of the tee joints and running down the braided hose and simply dripping off the lowest point of it, making it look like the hose but it actually isn't.

Otherwise you're looking at replacing custom pipe and fittings with custom pipe and fittings, and they can be very not cheap :)

Thanks Ian,

From what I remember of my Father's description, he says the pipe has turned a bit yellow where the fuel is coming from. Whether this just happens to be the lowest point of the pipe where the fuel is naturally going to collect, or where there is a hole there, I am not sure. It's a bugger to get the car off the ground to have a good look underneath. I'll get him to have a better look, he's been building engines all his life so he knows what he's doing, but it's in very hard to reach position, and therefore a pain to identify.

I just assumed that, if it's the hose that's gone, then we just need a new 18" or so length of hose to replace it ... should be easy enough to find. It's just getting under there that's the pain!

Thanks again, I'll get some more details off him tomorrow!

Cheers, James

Right, I checked with my Father and he said that it's not the joints, he's 99% sure (can't be 100% until the car is up in the air). He managed to get a spanner on those and they were solid and, most of all, very clean to the touch.

He says the rate at which the fuel is leaking out shows that it's pressurised for sure, a steady and fast drip. Sounds like it is definitely the main feed pipe though. The braided pipe comes out of the 'red can thing' filter in the footwell (which is just held in place with some wire to stop it hanging down!) and goes up into the T-piece which then feeds either end of the fuel rail from the hoses with the green stripe. The car has been standing for the best part of a year though while I am working abroad, so I don't know if standing fuel in the lines could have eventually corroded it's way through? I would have thought that fuel lines were designed for that not to happen, but maybe they are crappy quality!

Looks like it just needs a new length of hose, connectors all seem fine. Should be able to get something made up locally with proper flanges. Hopefully Dude will see this, he fitted it all :D

Cheers, J

Right! It's the pipe for sure! Looks totally brand new, but after taking the pipe off, blocking one end, and blowing air in the other end whilst the pipe was underwater, there were loads of bubbles coming from the middle. So that's that problem solved!

There is a place nearby that fabricates hydraulic pipes, so we'll get one made up there. Just one question .. what pressure does the fuel line operate at on the Supra? I have a pretty hefty fuelling setup too with twin-pumps, big injectors etc etc so might have to take that into consideration.

Cheers, J

No more than 43psi static unless you're trying to make smaller injectors act like bigger ones. Even at two bar boost it'll not get past 80psi, most hydraulic stuff would laugh at that.

Sounds like the rubber hose has split inside the metal sheath, which is odd. Maybe it's constantly flexing as the car is run, due to the filter being held in place by wire rather than clamped to the body :shrug:

Thanks Ian,

This is all sorted now. Got a new piece of PROPER braided fuel hose made up and now everything runs like a dream!

Why do I say "PROPER" I hear you ask ... well, because quite frankly I could have died with what was in there and, at the very least, my car would have gone up in smoke! After replacing the hose with the new one, my Father cut open the leaking one to see if he could find out what went wrong! What he found is quite honestly scary. Inside the braiding there was just a simple, thin, plastic (PVC I think) corrugated tube. The kind of plastic used in budget water bottles from the supermarket. I mean, not even good enough for a garden hose!! I think it's the kind of stuff that you would probably use for low pressure air, like a hoover! Certainly not good enough for ANY car, let alone a very BPU single-turbo Supra!!

So it's no wonder the fuel just ate it's way through it. Thank god I am abroad and not driving it much, because it was only a matter of time before that just gave way and pressurised fuel sprayed all over the hot engine ... and boom! I believe Homer suffered a similar scare!

Going to check all the other hoses now! Grrrr! Guess I'm lucky that we found it!

Cheers, J