The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Diff failure - Help please

Pig

So those of you that spotted my previous thread:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?262986-Gearbox-Failure&highlight=gearbox+failure

I pulled the car out the garage yesterday as I wanted to look at what was involved in removing the gearbox.

For a laugh I called my wife out, told her I had fixed it and we to drive it forward to let it make the lovely crunching noise again...only this time, it left a load of fluid and metal on the floor.

After disconneting the plug at the back and pulling more bits of metal out, I am left with the following (see pics).

So I have a few questions:

1. Can you tell what diff I have in there?

(For the record, I think it is a UK Spec auto diff)

2. How do you remove it? And is it a job for the driveway or is it a job for a garage?

3. What diffs can I put in to replace it?

Big case diff so if you suspect UK auto it's most likely correct. The diff cooler would support this also.

Removing the diff is fairly straight forward. I can't think of any issues to swapping it over on your driveway. Unbolt the prop, unbolt the driveshafts and unbolt the mount.

I think it happens with abusive driving.

Much cheaper. Worryingly I bought a box from Japan but thankfully it fell through.

Now I know how hard box's are to get, I am booking mine in for a rebuild as the synchro on 3rd is going.

I'd personally take it to a garage, 2 hrs max on a ramp would see the old one out and a new one in.

I WISH I had listened, was a massive effort to do on the driveway.

well thats a darn sight cheaper then a 6 speed gearbox to replace lol i did a uk diff last year at home in a few hours

I still need to rebuild the box but yeo, lots cheaper and more to the point, this means I should make the dragonball.

So, the diff is out and its clear that the the back section and the insude needs replacing. Does anyone know how much the back section is and is it the same on all big diffs? Its clear that I have been running my UK Auto diff so I could obvously try to source another UK auto diff but I think that will be difficult to find.

Can I buy just the internals of a TRD diff and put in mine?

At least you got it out :thumbs: im a great believer in doing things the easy way, my days

of lieing on the floor with arm ache are long gone :) a trip to my local village

garage and job done, plus a good check of everything else whilst its on the ramp :)

Hope you didnt get oil on the block paving !!

All over it, have tried to jet wash it off but you can still see it.... One really happy wife!!! This is the last bit of mechanical work I do on the car!!

Have found a uk auto diff which is what I was running and loved that setup but want to consider a TRD diff, it's difficult to know!

Does anyone know what is included with a TRD diff and how much they are?

So, the diff is out and its clear that the the back section and the insude needs replacing. Does anyone know how much the back section is and is it the same on all big diffs? Its clear that I have been running my UK Auto diff so I could obvously try to source another UK auto diff but I think that will be difficult to find.

Can I buy just the internals of a TRD diff and put in mine?

Hate to be the harbinger of doom, but I would get a professional to check that diff out if you're contemplating rebuilding it. There's a fair amount of damage to that diff and no doubt a fair bit of swarf has been mooning around inside it meaning it may require more parts than would make financial sense. You may also find you have swarf in the coolant pump and cooler which will either require flushing, or even better, replacing.

Edited by Miguel (see edit history)

Thanks mig. I had nearly made my mind up and that's done it.

Put another uk auto diff on and be done with it.

Cheap too at only 440 from a scrappy.

Can then look to upgrade at a later date to TRD if I choose, although the car has loads of grip with the r888's.

Thanks all for your help everyone, saved me hours of research and messing about.

Anyone want to buy a diff, hardly used....since blown to bits :)

http://img.tapatalk.com/5f939751-894f-b081.jpg

Pic of some of the bits that come with it for free ;)

John, I have the TRD auto diff on mine and its awesome. Same short final drive as is on yours but with the added bonus of alot more grip.

Really impressed with mine.

Are you manual? I thought I was the only one that had cottoned on to that trick. :)