The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Olympic Rings on the Thames

j_jza80

As per this article;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17189296

Here comes the rant :eyebrows:

£930,000 for those rings?!

At a time when plenty of british tax payers are being put out of work, this seems disgusting to me. This amount could easily keep 40 of our redundant armed forces staff in jobs for another year.

I'm all for the Olympics, I think it's a great honour to have the games here. What I don't like is some consultant/designer taking home £500k at the expense of the taxpayer, on a barge that will have a life span of 2 or 3 months!

Is there a longer term plan for this barge???

The cost of making the Ark Royal into a floating museum would have cost a similar amount (according to figures banded about when she was scrapped) and they could have painted Olympic rings on the side of it. They have a similar setup with the USS Intrepid in New York and it is a huge tourist attraction.

:(

I'm all for the Olympics, I think it's a great honour to have the games here. What I don't like is some consultant/designer taking home £500k at the expense of the taxpayer, on a barge that will have a life span of 2 or 3 months!

It's worse than that the bloody rings are going into storage until the Olympics - so they'll only be in use during the Olympics - presumably as the rings are not the logo of the paralympics they won't be out during that. So we are talking about 2 weeks worth of use.

and what's all this about free events for every Borough? I've not heard anything about Preston Borough's free event !!

Jason I hate you - I was completely oblivious to this travesty until you posted up :(

I'm tempted to let you have some infraction points because I'm so damned annoyed ;)

Mike

It's worse than that the bloody rings are going into storage until the Olympics - so they'll only be in use during the Olympics - presumably as the rings are not the logo of the paralympics they won't be out during that. So we are talking about 2 weeks worth of use.

and what's all this about free events for every Borough? I've not heard anything about Preston Borough's free event !!

It's shocking.

Jason I hate you - I was completely oblivious to this travesty until you posted up :(

I'm tempted to let you have some infraction points because I'm so damned annoyed ;)

Mike

:( that's not very nice, never offering you a cupper again! :D

It is shocking indeed I think I heard on the radio the bill for this 3 week event is 9 billion pounds and rising! :blink:

And am I right in saying it is most footed by londoners? And we wonder why we are in a recession still.

The company which won the ticket sale arrangement has gone to the states instead of a company here! Grrr

I read an article a few years back by a chap who basically keeps an eye out for government contracts. He then forms a company dealing in said commodity/resource and outsorces this to a proprer company. Naturally he takes the lions share of the money. Once the initial contract is over he dissolves the company and moves on.

Funnily enough he is a multi millionaire!!

Back on topic the games are a travasty. What a senseless waste of money.

Millennium Dome 2!!