The mkiv Supra Owners Club

safe to run car in gear on axle stand?

Lude

Just a thaught, got an air/boost leak on car.

Cant hear it when staitionary, car has to be moving.

Hard to pin point where is whilst im driving on the road.

Just jad a thaught, putting the car on axle stands at the rear.

Then starting the car and doing a slow rev and low boost run, while someone does this from the drivers seat i can pinpoint the leak under the bonnet.

Wouldnt be doing anything like a 6th gear max boost run.

I just have a leak which can be heard in 1st gear on low boost (maybe even a vacuum leak)

does this seem ok to do or is it un.safe and going to fall off the axle stands some how.

Maybe a good an easy way to source leaks.

I have a flame suit on ready just incase :-)

Guest Fast as a glacier
Can you please video it if you do?

Yeah video it pal then if something goes wrong Harry Hill will pay you £250 for the repairs.

On a serious note!

Just keep looking for the leak nice and safe! Something will be missing/split/etc..There are no magic wands when DIY..Just keep looking, you will find it.

Hmm. Well the noise occurs on negative boost doesnt have to be on lots of boost.

Just needs a slow run. As long as someone is in the seat controlling and the car is on axle stands firmly i should be ok.

Probably just do more looking into while all wheels on the ground :-)

Hmm. Well the noise occurs on negative boost doesnt have to be on lots of boost.

Just needs a slow run. As long as someone is in the seat controlling and the car is on axle stands firmly i should be ok.

Probably just do more looking into while all wheels on the ground :-)

My boost gauge goes from the negative where it idles to 0 when revving it when still so you could try that.

Surely you know yourself it isn't safe? How can suspending a car on 4 very small pillars (I assume you mean 4) while running the engine ever be considered safe? I personally don't think there would be much of an issue and you would have to be unlucky for it to fall off, but safe?? I think not.

Pick up the paper and do some Sudoku, the brain needs to start firing on its own again :)

Ye im guna go for it, people use axle stands all the time and they dont just fall off

will be going slow just to locate the leak. Will report back to let you know wher leak is.

If i have any suspision it is likely to fall off obv i wont do it