The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Range rover sport or Range rover

Paul R

Well, I have it on good authority that the sport is phenominal off road too, due to its all terrain system or whatever its called. Its supposed to be good even on road tyres?

I used to do a lot of serious off roading in my old rangie - but I totally destroyed it!

Paul.

But can a Sport survive being driven off Beachy Head ???? They are justy very small inside and too cramped, if im spending all that money on fuel and servicing I want a car that can be useful.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't really about offload ability tho is it, I've owned rr classics, sport, and various overfinch and Lichfield new and old variants of proper rangies, had a bowler wildcat and other toys for "offloading" currently own a v8 discovery es a diesel td5 series 2, sold my rangie (wish I hadn't)

Believe me, the proper rangie cuts it so much better than the sport in every way

But can a Sport survive being driven off Beachy Head ???? They are justy very small inside and too cramped, if im spending all that money on fuel and servicing I want a car that can be useful.

As its based on a descovery, I thought it would be huge inside? I have to admit I haven't taken one for a test drive yet, but I'm going to tonight, so ill reserve judgement until then :-)

Well, I have it on good authority that the sport is phenominal off road too, due to its all terrain system or whatever its called. Its supposed to be good even on road tyres?

I used to do a lot of serious off roading in my old rangie - but I totally destroyed it!

Paul.

That isn't so true... it is a good off road, but that is it, not brilliant. If you want off roading then get the big vogue.

I'm only going to take it off road every now and then. Nothing major either, just a bit of fun down some muddy tracks.

Paul.

If that's the case & you don't mind a smaller car then I'd get the sport too. My neighbour has one, and apart from suspension issues that cost him £2.5k to sort out it has been pretty good, lovely to drive on road.

It's the Vogue for me every time. This said, I would avoid the pre-facelift petrol versions (i.e. before June 2005) as the 4.4 BMW lump has not exactly surpassed all expectations in the reliability stakes. If you try a 4.4 then make sure it’s the Jag lump that's under the bonnet.

It costs me about 140 quid to fill a tank on regular fuel so be prepared for some hefty bills if this is going to be your daily runner.

I have the chromed quad-pipe sports exhaust fitted which is a rather nice little extra to have. Not cheap but worth every penny.

we had a rr nothing but trouble

I would only buy another if it was in warranty

If your after off road get an old defender nothing beats it

Save yourself some money

That's a fair point you make. The main problem with a Vogue is that even the smallest of things can cost an arm and a leg. The service costs are quite palatable but the petrol and maintenance costs can kill a small budget. As an example but the plastic gearbox linkage on my fairly newish RR froze with its lack of use which meant that I couldn't change gear (a bit of a problem I hear you say, lol). It cost me nothing to fix as I did it myself by raising the car to strip, lube and reassemble the 2-bob plastic linkage. If this has been rectified by an actual RR dealer then it would have set me back by almost 400 quid. This RR Dealer quote included the pick-up and delivery of my RR to my home. (nice of them)

I went out doing meals on wheels in the snow last year for 3 days, because we had the range rover we got sent out to the middle of nowhere in the snow, we had to go thru country roads that had been shut to deliver the old folkds meals and even on road tyres the thing was unbelievable, it refused to get stuck and went everywhere, inc down an icy hill that had a car pointing up but going backwards down it, I used the HDC and it is uncanny what it lets you do, we got stuck in a muddy field the other day but I have learnt it matters not how good your vehicle is but how good the tyres are as the farmer who laughed as we strugled to drive out of the ruts we had made (trying to tow a stuck horsebox) went and got his Navara on knobbly tyres and fared no better but could not drive out of his ruts. In the snow and towing it is phenominal dude, with the knobbly tyres its great off road just don't go wading as the electrics are frightening.

Talking of Navara, spotted this today, very nasty crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n5zHxvKZF0&feature=player_embedded