The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Recommendations for a suitable bike for London to Brighton

Wez

Hey All,

Any recommendations for a suitable bike to complete the London to Brighton bike ride, so far have only been to Halfrauds, they said either a full on road/race bike or possibly a hybrid. Last time I did it I used a mountain bike :)

Thx

For once, the Halfords advice sounds spot-on. If you don't want to use it for anything else then a road bike has to be the way to go.

Neil-NA on here sells bikes I think: might be worth having a word.

Yeah, he owns a bike shop. Definitely speak to him :)

Can't go wrong with Halfords though, or bike shops that have last season's stock as they sell them cheap.

I am doing the London to Brighton this year too :)

Did it last year on a hybrid bike, basically a light mountain like bike with road tyres.

Took us 4.5 hours to complete, which was pretty good considering our first go and the 4 of us stuck together for the whole ride.

It can be done on any bike, but I'd recommend a hybrid for comfort.

Whatever you get try to ride it for a few weeks at least before the ride, otherwise your ass will be scorching the next morning!

Very good advice! Also padded shorts are a must! They feel quite odd when you wear them, well it feels like you are wearing a nappy!

:D

I've done it twice on a mountain bike with knobbly tyres which was, on hindsight, just silly. I should have just changed to skinny road tyres then I could use the bike I'm used to but have much less rolling resistance. If you have a bike now just make sure you put road tyres on it. If not get one for how you plan to use it after the London/Brighton but make sure you have skinny tyres for the ride itself.

My Mrs trained for a triathlon on her mountain bike with knobbly tyres then switched to skinny tyres for the final week of training and the race. She was surprised how much of a difference it made - reckoned it knocked at least 10% off her time.

Do you wear a nappy often then? Or is it only when drag racing?

Nope....Yep, well sometimes.

Few of us are planning on doing this now wez, Me, Lee and Ricky, few of my mates, we should all meet up.

I am doing it too :)

Though, I have a feeling a MKIV bike ride will turn into a race! :D

Brightons not that bad !!!!

I'm sure Jamie's 'bike' will have a big single turbo on it somewhere though!

Didn't Jamie at one point put a rocket or something like that on his bike? I can vaguely remember seeing a video... or I could be talking tosh.

Didn't Jamie at one point put a rocket or something like that on his bike? I can vaguely remember seeing a video... or I could be talking tosh.

This: http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/h200106rocketbk_485_2.jpg

Or this: PzC6yU6DhkY

You doing the daytime or night ride?

Knightrider? I definitely would have do the London to Brighton run in this:

http://www.blog.automotiveaddicts.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/knightrider_34front.jpg