The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Small sub opinion or recommendation.

ripped_fear

Oh right, I think one of my local audio centres close by stocks a pioneer and alpine version, so may pop down and have a listen to them and decide based on there performance. If I get chance i will update the thread appropriately.

Oh right, I think one of my local audio centres close by stocks a pioneer and alpine version, so may pop down and have a listen to them and decide based on there performance. If I get chance i will update the thread appropriately.

That would be good mate, as I have said, just want a sensible base level, like my home cinema system, what I would call comfortable base and you would call old man base:d

That would be good mate, as I have said, just want a sensible base level, like my home cinema system, what I would call comfortable base and you would call old man base:d

Not at all lol, I do not want insane base either. In my last car I had nearly 3000watts of base and constantly had the sub on 1/4 base as I couldn't bare it. Even one 1/4 I could rattle windows and not see out of my mirrors due to vibration, but I got to the stage it was just too much. I just want to add a bit of depth to my cars sound, gone are the days of my chav 'boom boom' comes throbbing down the street :D

I am tempted by the under seat sub idea too. I did wonder how easy it would be to design something that would fit where the stock sub location is but with a much better speaker etc.

They do sell them on the US ebay but are very pricey especially with shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPRA-SUB-BOX-STEALTH-FITS-UNDER-CARPET-TARGA-FITS-10-/350321764784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5190cde9b0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-SUPRA-FIBERGLASS-SUB-BOX-ENCLOSURE-2x10-MAGICBOX-/350284875164?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item518e9b059c#ht_1520wt_836

I wouldn't go with those personally. I was thinking more along the lines of a decent shallow mount sub, they are pricey though.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/products/pio-tssw2501s4-pioneer-ts-sw2501s4.html

That's all good if you want thud thud thud bass, but I would then need to upgrade every other speaker to compete with the base, as well as build an enclosure, which is everything oposite of what I would be after

I realise you get what you pay for to a degree, but I am happy just to have a background bass, so was asking along those sort of lines

Sorry for the thread hijack

That's all good if you want thud thud thud bass, but I would then need to upgrade every other speaker to compete with the base, as well as build an enclosure, which is everything oposite of what I would be after

I realise you get what you pay for to a degree, but I am happy just to have a background bass, so was asking along those sort of lines

Sorry for the thread hijack

The level of the bass is set by the output of the amplifier, nothing else. The quality of the sound is down to the quality of the speakers and the acoustics of the box. Those flat all in one kits aren't good for much. If you turn them up they sound absolutely garbage. You would be as well with a pair of 6x9s in a shoebox IMO.

I've just made a box today, got an old fusion box with 2 12"subs and cut it in half so it's only 8 1/2 inches high and 36 inches wide. Fits perfect and only takes up half the boot.

You got a picture James? And is it easily removable?

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the enclosure design play a massive part to the sound.

You got a picture James? And is it easily removable?

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the enclosure design play a massive part to the sound.

I'll get a pic tomorrow when it's light out mate, it sits level with the back seat and I've just temporarily attached amp to the box for now. I was tired of my old box which sat an inch from back window. This one is ported and doesn't sound bad at all.

The level of the bass is set by the output of the amplifier, nothing else. The quality of the sound is down to the quality of the speakers and the acoustics of the box. Those flat all in one kits aren't good for much. If you turn them up they sound absolutely garbage. You would be as well with a pair of 6x9s in a shoebox IMO.

That sounds fair enough

Sorry I couldn't help myself:blush:

I was actually considering replacing the rear stock speakers with 6x9's anyway, would that help give a little more base.

Using these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140571537131?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Sorry I am a total noob when it comes to sound

That sounds fair enough

Sorry I couldn't help myself:blush:

I was actually considering replacing the rear stock speakers with 6x9's anyway, would that help give a little more base.

Using these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140571537131?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Sorry I am a total noob when it comes to sound

Not really, it would offset the soundstage in the car. Bass (not base ;) ) isn't directional. This is the reason you can pretty much put your sub anywhere and it won't sound as if it's coming from anywhere in particular (ie behind you). Having 6x9s behind you would mean louder mid and most likely louder high end which would offset the sound in the car.

You could probably ditch the rear speakers for small subs. Not sure how small they get but I don't think you would be hard pushed to fit something like 8" in there with a little work. It wouldn't be ideal though as you would need to try and surround the speakers unless you bought free air (silly money for anything decent).

The best solution for a little bit of low end punch is a small-ish sub and a small amp. If doing it I wouldn't go with anything less than 10", as if you're building a box it's best to get the best of both worlds (volume & tone), and anything around 150w RMS + is going to make for a nice sounding sub.

Thanks Scott, looks like something I won't be bothering with any time soon then

I might one day do the proper rear seat delete build, as the rear seats are only used as a bin anyway, but that's not happening any time soon

It wouldn't take a lot of space in the boot though mate, you should think about doing a minimal install. A 10" sub only needs 11" of depth. All you need to do is clear the bottom (with a shallow sub the box would be tiny). You can then use the rest of the width to make up the volume. Measure out 11" from the rear seats and that will show you how much space you will have left.

It wouldn't take a lot of space in the boot though mate, you should think about doing a minimal install. A 10" sub only needs 11" of depth. All you need to do is clear the bottom (with a shallow sub the box would be tiny). You can then use the rest of the width to make up the volume. Measure out 11" from the rear seats and that will show you how much space you will have left.

I have the perfect thing to measure 11" out:innocent:

Yeah I might have a look at it, but I like having the boot space

With it already being so small and the rear strut brace in there, going on the Dragonball/Shows/Meets etc becomes a challenge already, without having to fill the back seat up, got to consider the Amp taking up space as well

It's not something I am ruling out, but really need to have a proper think, as for me the rear seat delete would be the obvious way to go

I have thought about making an enclosure using the rear seat base, idea being it will still look like a rear seat, but with a square sub in one seat and the amp in the other, obviously hollow out the foam from underneath to build an enclosure