The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Small sub opinion or recommendation.

ripped_fear

Ok been meaning to buy a small sub for a while now and have decided im finally going to.

I want something small that can either tuck to the back of the boot and not take up loads of room, and it must not sit so high it push's the boot blind. Or somthing small enough that I can mount it under the passenger seat.

Been looking around and found a couple of option within my very tight budget. I want it to come to under £100 all in.

First option is something like this-

JBL LINK

Or an undereat one within my budget would be this little one which attracts me as I have full pioneer in the car now-

Pioneer one

(But not actually sure if this would fit under the supra seat due to how low they sit.)

My third option would be buy all of the components separetly, maybe buy a small 8" sub, small amp etc etc and have a go at a custom box to take up minimum space. But I have no experience in this, and I have never wired up a sub apart from an active set up and I'm not sure how much more wiring is needed. Also not sure if I would be able to pick up suitable parts within my budget.

If anyone has any experiences with the above, or thinks there is some better options please feel free to suggest away, as im a bit of a noob when it comes to audio set ups.

Thanks in Advance.

I never took that approach !!

You have like 12 cars so its cool when you want to do a weekend away you are sorted :D

I only have my Supra (well the other car I share with Dad) for long weekend trips, and my wife loves packing for the country!

You could easily make a box with a 10" sub that will sit under the boot blind. How much space in the boot are you willing to give up?

Wiring an amp/sub is reasonably easy. You need a power feed from the battery, an ignition feed from the headunit, an earth from the amp location area and an RCA connection from the headunit. Run that lot to where the amp is to be located then simply hook the amp up to the subwoofer, pretty much job done.

If I were you I would go with a 10" sub and build a box against the seats, underneath the boot blind, that's the same width as the boot itself. That way you will have loads of volume while not taking much depth or length of the boot.

Funny you should post up this thread, I have been thinking the same recently

I don't want booming base, just a sensible/subtle amount to enhance the sound

I wouldn't mind knowing if anyone has tried the underseat style thin Subs as well, as it will go in the boot and leave plenty of space still

You could easily make a box with a 10" sub that will sit under the boot blind. How much space in the boot are you willing to give up?

Wiring an amp/sub is reasonably easy. You need a power feed from the battery, an ignition feed from the headunit, an earth from the amp location area and an RCA connection from the headunit. Run that lot to where the amp is to be located then simply hook the amp up to the subwoofer, pretty much job done.

If I were you I would go with a 10" sub and build a box against the seats, underneath the boot blind, that's the same width as the boot itself. That way you will have loads of volume while not taking much depth or length of the boot.

This is the approach that appeals to me as I love building bits, I was thinking about maybe building to the side of the boot so the sub would sit to the side of the spare wheel at an angel facing the middle. If that makes sense. Would having it in this position affect audio quality? If its easy enough to wire up I think this may be my best option.

This is the approach that appeals to me as I love building bits, I was thinking about maybe building to the side of the boot so the sub would sit to the side of the spare wheel at an angel facing the middle. If that makes sense. Would having it in this position affect audio quality? If its easy enough to wire up I think this may be my best option.

I wouldn't recommend doing it that way, simply because as you get closer to the rear of the boot it gets VERY shallow. You have the most depth right at the seats. You can make a suitable sized box that will sound it's best without taking up a lot of space. You could even use it as a shelf if you liked. If you can imagine the view side on it would look like a trapezoid.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/7046.html

I'd just buy that and lie it on its back.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/9146.html

Hide that somewhere and the jobs a goodun.

I need it to come to no more than £100 preferably a bit less, plus that one is at least 30cm heigh the boot depth is less than that is it not?

I need it to come to no more than £100 preferably a bit less, plus that one is at least 30cm heigh the boot depth is less than that is it not?

Not sure reading the dimensions, they certainly don't cross over to the picture. Basically I would get a box that looks like the picture, rather than looking at the dimensions.

For £100 you aren't going to be able to buy new and have anything useful IMO. Good luck with it though :)

Not sure reading the dimensions, they certainly don't cross over to the picture. Basically I would get a box that looks like the picture, rather than looking at the dimensions.

For £100 you aren't going to be able to buy new and have anything useful IMO. Good luck with it though :)

See this was my fear, I will have a look and see what I can find. A sub such as this would be nice http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-TS-W259S4-10-Car-Sub-Subwoofer-Single-4-Ohm-Champion-1200W-/330676612311?pt=UK_AudioElectronicsVideo_Video_TelevisionSetTopBoxes&hash=item4cfddcacd7#ht_736wt_841 but looking at amp prices its would cost a fair bit.

See this was my fear, I will have a look and see what I can find. A sub such as this would be nice http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-TS-W259S4-10-Car-Sub-Subwoofer-Single-4-Ohm-Champion-1200W-/330676612311?pt=UK_AudioElectronicsVideo_Video_TelevisionSetTopBoxes&hash=item4cfddcacd7#ht_736wt_841 but looking at amp prices its would cost a fair bit.

I think I saw that for similar money with a box on caraudiosecurity.