The mkiv Supra Owners Club

alternative to i-pad

Branners

snip... Lots of anti apple stuff.....

Maaaan you sound like me! :D

I actually really like apple hardware..... The problem is apple software

In setting up the 7 iPads in the office it was an absolute nightmare! You can't register it without a cc card or apple gift card crap so I just used my iTunes I'd as it was easier but that's linked to my credit card... (not best in a work place! Good job I control the updates and locked them down so you can't do anything without a password i set.)

They constantly frustrate me! I am in the process of migrating my bosses laptop to another one... No problems except for his iTunes crap!...

My android phones all work on any computer I want...

Sorry, I'm ranting! :D

Maaaan you sound like me! :D

I actually really like apple hardware..... The problem is apple.

Definitely, I've never had an issue with the hardware. The build quality is fantastic as is the quality of the components etc. They are also quite quick and I don't notice much delay when doing things. The never ending restriction is what always gets to me.

oh no, i understand perfectly. People are becoming more like sheep everyday and something that tells them how to use it, what to buy and where to buy it is the ideal device for this current trend. It's genuis really, the marketing is effective and apple are making millions (might even be billions?) on peoples predictability and gullibility. There are similar products on the market that allow the user free reign to do as they wish but people would rather have a restrained option as it makes most of their decisions for them and there is generally no user choice or input necessary.

To use an apple ipad properly with less restraint you need an apple pc *ching ching*, in order to use an ipad with your tv you need apple tv (or something like that i think its called) *ching ching*, you are restricted with what you view on apple tv so you are forced to buy movies rather than use your sky anytime thing *ching ching*, you are restricted to using the ipad with itunes meaning that most users are likely to do all their buying there *ching ching*, most apps (and certainly all useful ones) are charged for and you have no choice but to download from itunes and the apple stores *ching ching*, can only use with one pc therefor to retain it's ease of use if you have more than 1 ipad you need more than one pc/userid etc *ching ching*, if you lose your harddrive for some reason your items are forever stuck on your ipad never to be retrieved *ching ching*.

It goes on and on and on, but anyway... I never miss the point, it's as clear as day imo and the naive people are the people who think it's a wonderful product that's easy to use and the best tech on the market. It's like saying that a toothbrush is the best thing in the world as it's easy to use, of course it is but other than cleaning the bog once you're done with it or constantly buying accessories and upgrades for it, it isn't very versatile.

Galaxy tab 10.1 - use any type of pc for full useability with no restrictions [check], use it with a tv with no restrictions and no fancy devices [check], unrestricted use and viewing [check], no pre-required software to use the device [check], no ties into using any particular store to buy apps [check], able to download and install any app you wish regardless of origin [check], can plug into pretty much any pc without worry of the device being wiped or wiping out anything on the connected device [check], can be connected to any userid/pc/profile and organise/edit/share/do what you like [check], transfers work both ways with no file changing or incompatability issues [check].

Ease of use is branded about so often with the ipad. If you want to download a song or a film from itunes and view it then i whole heartedly agree. If you want to actually do anything outwith the rules set by apple and itunes then it's an absolute nightmare. As has been found out many times even simply plugging the ipad into another persons pc can cause all manor of issues. The whole setup is a joke and i honestly wish i never bought mine. If someone offered me £250 for it i would literally take their hand off.

o.k

I agree that some people are heavily brainwashed by the Apple media machine, but not everyone. I went into a shop to test various Tablets, and circa 1 year ago when I bought my IPad it was by far the most impressive to use.

There are other methods with photos, I usually upload them to Photobucket on my Laptop, which I can then view on my iPad. If I need to download them, it only takes one press of the screen :)

I also have an iPhone 3 GS, which although highs compatible with the iPad, I rarely use such functions. I don't own an iMac, though if I I'd it would be because of how fantastic they are to use rather than feeling the need to own such things.

I spent weeks going through the pros and cons of all the tabs before finally buying the Galaxy Tab 10.1

iPad2 was the first to be eliminated from the reckoning - it's just too damn restrictive to do anything useful with. I want file transfer with my other PC's around the house to be easy!

Motorola Xoom was a possible. The expansion port to use a micro-sd card looked like a great idea to me. However, when I used one in the flesh next to some others, the screen was quite dull (on full brightness) and the colours weren't very accurate. (White pages appeared yellow-ish.) Also I found the Xoom to be fairly heavy.

The Asus slider is a great little machine. The screen is one of the best for an Android device and it also has an expansion port. There's nice and fast with no delay in switching from landscape to protrait or when switching to fullscreen to watch a video. However, I had my doubts about the mechanism of the flip-out keyboard - it seemed a little flimsy and the keyboard is connected to the screen by a ribbon which may eventually over time break. Connecting to the keyboard in this way does save power over a bluetooth keyboard though. Also, because of the keyboard the unit is considerably heavier than I'd like.

The Sony was a good machine too, but the screen was smaller and I want to use RDP to connect to my work PC's. I had set 10.1" as the minimum screen size.

In the end I found the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 to have a great screen - very bright and with great colour saturation, it was the lightest of the tabs I tried out and seemed to have the most accessories available. (Including an adapter pack available on Amazon to add an SD card or a USB stick) Also I think of the Galaxy as being one of, if not THE best alternative to the Apple. Some retailers are offering some great reductions on the others, but this suggests to me that they are doing this to try and shift the stock. The Samsung Galaxy Tab generally sits at or very close to it's retail price, possibly because people are doing their homework and coming to the conclusion that it's the best alternative and hence the units will sell regardless.