The mkiv Supra Owners Club

alternative to i-pad

Branners

At work we give the sales teams an i-pad when going out to visit clients so they can see great pictures of our venues along with brochures and floorplans.

but good lord we hate the i-pads. Almost impossible to get any decent content on to them, completely reliant on i-tunes to make it work and even when completely locked down the sales teams have found a way of wiping off content.

I need to find an alternative running Android or Windows. Needs to look as nice as the i-pad, have wireless and 3g built in and allow content to be uploaded easily.

Anybody got any suggestions? And no, I wont be talked round about the i-pad, they are rubbish.

I have an iPad, and it's fantastic. It does have some limitations, but they're so simple to use, even my 90 year old grandad was using mine recently.

I like the look of the Sony one.

I'd ideally like one I could wirelessly tether to my TV for web browsing etc. you can do this with an Apple TV box, but not all web sites are supported, plus there's the usual flash issues.

Anyone have a solution? :)

I have an iPad, and it's fantastic. It does have some limitations, but they're so simple to use, even my 90 year old grandad was using mine recently.

I like the look of the Sony one.

I'd ideally like one I could wirelessly tether to my TV for web browsing etc. you can do this with an Apple TV box, but not all web sites are supported, plus there's the usual flash issues.

Anyone have a solution? :)

Yep, get the sales team on some training! :D

I use mine mainly for reading, watching movies, this forum, controlling the telly when the wife has the remote! :D

Agree on the iTunes front, but all they need to do is drag drop the pictures and hit sync... done.

hmm, have you tried to tether 2 different i-pads to i-tunes and keep them updated? And then found the content wiped off one and tried to sync it again only to find it doesnt like it? :)

They are impossible to manage properly in a corporate environment. As a casual user they are okay, but when trying to use them as a stable and reliable business tool they are just a pain.

I will give all the suggestions a look.

hmm, have you tried to tether 2 different i-pads to i-tunes and keep them updated? And then found the content wiped off one and tried to sync it again only to find it doesnt like it? :)

They are impossible to manage properly in a corporate environment. As a casual user they are okay, but when trying to use them as a stable and reliable business tool they are just a pain.

I will give all the suggestions a look.

It's pointless JB, I've tried talking sense into them but they are brainwashed. Even though I've told Abz a million times you can't drag and drop photos without an apple PC it still doesn't register as his brain has been conditioned into giving iResponses everytime an i question is asked. :D

Motorola Xoom is another good bit of kit to check out.

Another vote for the tab 10.1

Had a play with one last week, side by side To the 7inch version and the samsung note.

If theY have corporate phones, Look at the note. General use, the 7inch tab and to rival the iPad, the 10.1

Great piece of kit and a shame I can't use them at work. (I too look after 7 iPad2's whilst making sure the staff don't do something stupid with them! :D )

It's pointless JB, I've tried talking sense into them but they are brainwashed. Even though I've told Abz a million times you can't drag and drop photos without an apple PC it still doesn't register as his brain has been conditioned into giving iResponses everytime an i question is asked. :D

I understand what you're getting at but I do think you're missing the point a bit as to why Apple products are becoming more and more popular with the every day user.:hide:

I understand what you're getting at but I do think you're missing the point a bit as to why Apple products are becoming more and more popular with the every day user.:hide:

Oh no, I understand perfectly. People are becoming more like sheep everyday and something that tells them how to use it, what to buy and where to buy it is the ideal device for this current trend. It's genuis really, the marketing is effective and Apple are making MILLIONS (might even be billions?) on peoples predictability and gullibility. There are similar products on the market that allow the user free reign to do as they wish but people would rather have a restrained option as it makes most of their decisions for them and there is generally no user choice or input necessary.

To use an apple ipad properly with less restraint you need an apple PC *ching ching*, in order to use an ipad with your TV you need apple TV (or something like that I think its called) *ching ching*, you are restricted with what you view on apple TV so you are forced to buy movies rather than use your Sky Anytime thing *ching ching*, you are restricted to using the ipad with iTunes meaning that most users are likely to do all their buying there *ching ching*, most apps (and certainly all useful ones) are charged for and you have no choice but to download from iTunes and the apple stores *ching ching*, can only use with one PC therefor to retain it's ease of use if you have more than 1 ipad you need more than one PC/UserID etc *ching ching*, if you lose your harddrive for some reason your items are forever stuck on your ipad never to be retrieved *ching ching*.

It goes on and on and on, but anyway... I never miss the point, it's as clear as day IMO and the naive people are the people who think it's a wonderful product that's easy to use and the best tech on the market. It's like saying that a toothbrush is the best thing in the world as it's easy to use, of course it is but other than cleaning the bog once you're done with it or constantly buying accessories and upgrades for it, it isn't very versatile.

Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Use any type of PC for full useability with no restrictions [check], use it with a TV with no restrictions and no fancy devices [check], unrestricted use and viewing [check], no pre-required software to use the device [check], no ties into using any particular store to buy apps [check], able to download and install any app you wish regardless of origin [check], can plug into pretty much any PC without worry of the device being wiped or wiping out anything on the connected device [check], can be connected to any userid/pc/profile and organise/edit/share/do what you like [check], transfers work both ways with no file changing or incompatability issues [check].

Ease of use is branded about so often with the iPad. If you want to download a song or a film from iTunes and view it then I whole heartedly agree. If you want to actually do anything outwith the rules set by apple and iTunes then it's an absolute nightmare. As has been found out many times even simply plugging the ipad into another persons PC can cause all manor of issues. The whole setup is a joke and I honestly wish I never bought mine. If someone offered me £250 for it I would literally take their hand off.

iResponses! :D

You don't need an Apple PC man, iTunes works on any OS, I don't mess around with mine much but I believe you can also do it remotely wireless through iCloud. So basically you upload the picture into iTunes on say one account & then the iPad sync remotely. They don't need to plug into a PC anymore, saves them fiddling with anything.

We have about 600 of them floating around the company & our lawyers use it when they want to edit documents, pick up emails mainly. Less likely for anything to go wrong, small & compact when they are travelling from site to site & no need to carry around battery chargers too.

I liked the xoom as well which we tested, I'd say that came in 2nd. The Galaxy tablet, is that the smaller one you guys are recommending? As we found that too small, it was only a bit bigger than a Galaxy S2 phone & felt quite plasticly.

iResponses! :D

You don't need an Apple PC man, iTunes works on any OS, I don't mess around with mine much but I believe you can also do it remotely wireless through iCloud. So basically you upload the picture into iTunes on say one account & then the iPad sync remotely. They don't need to plug into a PC anymore, saves them fiddling with anything.

We have about 600 of them floating around the company & our lawyers use it when they want to edit documents, pick up emails mainly. Less likely for anything to go wrong, small & compact when they are travelling from site to site & no need to carry around battery chargers too.

I liked the xoom as well which we tested, I'd say that came in 2nd. The Galaxy tablet, is that the smaller one you guys are recommending? As we found that too small, it was only a bit bigger than a Galaxy S2 phone & felt quite plasticly.

It's certainly not that simple Abz. In order to put a photo on the iPad you need to first put that photo into a folder on it's own. From there you then need to sync the iPad with that folder. Once it is synced you will have a copy in that folder, a copy in your iPad and the original copy. If you delete the folder you created or the picture in the folder, the next time you sync the iPad the photo will be lost. If you sync the iPad with the folder where the picture originally is it will copy all pictures from that folder. The example i always give is pictures of my daughter. I have over 5000 split into categories. They are generally a few hundred per folder. If I want 20 photos on my iPad I need to create a specific folder just for the iPad so that I can then copy in the 20 pics, I am then stuck with that folder for as long as I want the pics to remain on my iPad. Yes I can turn the photo syncing off but if I want to add more photos it will need to be turned back on. It's a joke.

You making the xoom 2nd best is rather funny. Overall it blows the iPad out of the water due to it's flexibility and the reasons I explained earlier (it's almost the same as the tab).

I've not had a go of the smaller tab, I wouldn't waste my time with it personally. It's all about the 10.1. I'd love one.

How about the latest Archos G9 80(8 inch) or 101(10.1 inch) due for release on the first of March.

New model has 1.5GHZ dual core processor & 1GB ram.

I've got the old version and think it is fantastic: Easy drag and drop files, good file organiser as standard, HDMI output, remote control via android phone.

Full Google certification(full market etc) plus you can run any other app store you like.

Excellent with media, can stream direct of any NAS box or PC.

Full flash support and will run the latest firmware: ICS.

Did use it every day, but tends to get borrowed a lot now, as it instantly starts up and connects to WIFI(as someone can't be bothered to switch their laptop on:p)

I've also heard manages to run & download torrents, if that's your thing. :innocent:

edit: It also has it's own built in stand that folds away flush, which I didn't think I would use but now it gets used daily(great idea).

The memory is also easily upgradable via micro SD card slot(managed to get a 32GB micro SD card for mine for £17.99).

Funny how certain manufacturers will charge £££'s extra for the same upgrade!

It can also be 3G enabled by using a 3G usb stick which also sits flush in the back.

Certainly worth having a play about with one, see how you get on with it. :)