The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car dealer gazumped me or... ?

Guest JassB

Hi,

I would really appreciate help from you guys...

Last week on Wednesday I've agreed to buy a car from a dealer, paid deposit, signed the agreement and agreed to collect the car in a week time as the car needed some work done before the collection.

Yesterday I've called the dealer as I've not heard from them since paying the deposit for the car, they've told me the car is still in garage getting the work done.

Today, I've received a call from the dealer saying that it would be the best if I took my deposit back as the car has "some discrepancies"... ??? They've told me "as it is hybrid, something is wrong with electrics" and it will probably be the best if I take my deposit back...

When I've agreed to buy the car, I had a mechanic who checked the car and I got the report back saying that everything is fine with the car, beside few scratches on the back bumper and back windows not opening. It was agreed with the dealer they will repair windows and get rid of scratches. Now dealer is saying that car has "some discrepancies" and they would want me to take the deposit back... ????

The car was advertised as immaculate, low millage and at the price of £18.500. We've agreed that I will buy it at £18.000 and they will do the work... however, I have a terrible feeling that someone maybe offered them a full asking price and they are trying to get out of agreement with me.... do not understand why as I am cash buyer!

The car was never taken off the market after we've agreed the price and me paying deposit and signing the agreement.

I have refused to take the deposit back and agreed to call them on Friday to find out what did garage say about the repair.

Can someone please tell me where do I stand. Can the dealer just go ahead and sell it to someone else even after I've paid deposit and signed the agreement? What are my rights in all this, as I really want this car.

Thanks! X

Your rights would depend on what you have signed :)

If they took it to a car wash & someone jet washed the engine, causing problems, would you still want it?

Does sound like they could have another buyer, take it is isn't a 'proper' dealer?

And which car are we talking about here?

Hello and Welcome

A bit odd to sign up to a Supra Forum and your first post is about being guzumped on a car, that by what you put is not even a Supra

As for info, you don't have a leg to stand on, the dealer can say it's beyond economical repair and take it off the market

Hi,

No, my car is not Supra... but when I've googled "gazumped on car" this forum came up with lengthy discussion... and i just thought there is a bunch of decent guys who will help me with the issue :)

You're being shafted. Greed is the driver. Wake up and smell the lube. Tell them the agreement is in place and you wish to complete the transaction as per the contract. Its worth a shot :D

The car in front is a Toyota

Just not that type.

Can someone tell me if the dealer would agree on me taking the car to an independent Lexus garage for a check up? ... i think they are telling me lots of bull.... just so they can sell it to someone else who maybe offering more money and in fact there is nothing wrong with the car...

Can someone tell me if the dealer would agree on me taking the car to an independent Lexus garage for a check up? ... i think they are telling me lots of bull.... just so they can sell it to someone else who maybe offering more money and in fact there is nothing wrong with the car...

No harm in trying, unfortunately we don't have the answers to everything..... especially relating to hybrids etc. Read the contract you signed and see what your rights are, that will be a far better indicator than randomly asking on a car forum ;)

No harm in trying, unfortunately we don't have the answers to everything..... especially relating to hybrids etc. Read the contract you signed and see what your rights are, that will be a far better indicator than randomly asking on a car forum ;)

Thanks for the advice... but my agreement does not state anything about the issue that I have... and me being a woman and not understanding "car things" was just looking for genuine advice :)

I would take my deposit back and take my business elsewhere. So you got it for £500 less than advertised, by the time you've paid for an inspection here and there (especially at Lexus;)) to get the windows sorted it wont be worth it. Plenty more fish in the sea and all that. :)

I would take my deposit back and take my business elsewhere. So you got it for £500 less than advertised, by the time you've paid for an inspection here and there (especially at Lexus;)) to get the windows sorted it wont be worth it. Plenty more fish in the sea and all that. :)

Iky,

yeah... I will probably go with that at the end and look for another car...but... it may happen again and I would just like to know where I stand with p..s takers like this one and what's my right...

(...I would so like to be a man when it comes to buying car... :) as I am sure they would not be behaving like this with one of you guys...

Iky,

yeah... I will probably go with that at the end and look for another car...but... it may happen again and I would just like to know where I stand with p..s takers like this one and what's my right...

(...I would so like to be a man when it comes to buying car... :) as I am sure they would not be behaving like this with one of you guys...

Unfortunately it's one of those stereotypical issues. Always best to take an experienced person with you.

Don't feel too bad, there have been times when i would so like to be a woman :sly: - Once I needed some brake pipe unions in a emergency so decided to call at the local kwik fit as it was the only place within walking distance. Went there, the chap stared at me for a second and said "no sorry we don't have any left" I went back miffed and thought, lets try sending my sister who was with me at the time and what do you know et voila! not one but five brake unions!