The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Soul destroying car problems!! any suggestions?

TubbyTwo

Have you tried this site?

http://www.tdocuk.com/

From which this came....

http://www.tdocuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11600&p=113300#p113300

This is very interesting,

pVcWDkwTxj8

Also, might be well worth showing this video to your diagnostics guys as it's for a no fault code Ford engine misfire and shows the location of individual cylinder data. Obviously a diesel will be a different matter but my point is about the location of the data in the menu assuming it's a similar system, if it's not been found and checked yet. Might help, might not.

Individual coil scoping info would be very useful to Supra owners if they have a scope. I bought a USB one off eBay that would enable this kind of diagnosis.

CR32Lpt623M

What was that video someone posted recently where an automotive electrical training course was filmed showing a bad ECU ground example?

The scope showed noise on all the tested components which turned out to be as simple as a loose ECU ground nut to the chassis. The weather, added to being sat for a while could easily have caused corrosion of a ground or other connection. A short or bad connection might also explain the battery drain issue.

Thats all fine if you know how to test each and every sensor on the car, every componet emits noise signals its very easy doing all the tests on a training course test rig but live testing on a car is a different story. trouble is IF a garage spends all day testing all the sensors on a customers car and finds one faulty sensor but charges a days labour then the customers are not happy with the price they are paying for a sensor replacement. hence why most garages dont get involved in advance scope testing.

Thats all fine if you know how to test each and every sensor on the car, every componet emits noise signals its very easy doing all the tests on a training course test rig but live testing on a car is a different story. trouble is IF a garage spends all day testing all the sensors on a customers car and finds one faulty sensor but charges a days labour then the customers are not happy with the price they are paying for a sensor replacement. hence why most garages dont get involved in advance scope testing.

There's a big difference between random noise and signals like square waves etc.

The noise is what you see when nothing is supposed to be there because the sensor is inactive.

The failing to rev up - These suffer from accelerator position sensors - i would think it needs a pedal. Cutting out can also be caused by this. This would put an error code in the PCM though, something like "APP sensor implausible signal", but not always! Cutting out can also be caused by a faulty filter on these as Ford tech's don't like changing them. They're a bonus killer!

Being a Peugeot engine, they do like to eat turbo's. Sounds silly but check the viens on the turbo when you remove and inspect the boost pipe. I've had squirrels chewing up air filters and it's been sucked into the turbo making funny noises.

Also, are you getting a smell of diesel fumes? The cam covers leak like a biatch on these, the oil drips onto and down the sides of the injectors. Over time, heat carbonises the oil, it solidifies and lifts the injector up off it's seal. You'll get a chuffing sound, a smell of fumes and sometimes a high pitched whine under boost. This could also cause the poor fuel economy and running issues.

My wife's company car is a 1.4 TDCi fiesta and it breaks on a regular basis. Her input every time I have to recover and repair it is "Good job I married a ford trained tech huh!?" Lol

Ford PCM's like to keep you on your toes. Citroen Relays have transit engines in now. I tried for about an hour with Solus doing pin point diagnostics, engine would cut or throttle would have very little response. No EML or relevant DTC's When I looked closer I realised it was indeed a Transit, I tested the pedal, knowing that they're cack, and whaddaya know!? Intermittant implausible signal on the pedal! Replaed, retested, all good.

Thanks Ben, all good stuff.

Nope no strong fuel smells, no lumpy running, and it doesnt hunt on idle either. From looking around the engine bay there are no apparent oil leaks. All manifold bolts and turbo bolts reported to be tight, however will check and have them retorqued if needed.

Car drives fine, no smoke on boost, doesnt struggle to start and no smoke when it starts. Stalling wise it happens both driving the car and also when its just started and left to idle, it cuts out on its own on the drive.

All filters have just been changed, including fuel filter.

Turbo whines but pulls and drives as normal.