The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitted my front lip today

pistonbroke

Picked up my Cervini front lip which I bought from the states the other day. So today, a friend and I fitted it.

The front lip is an FRP plastic which requires spraying prior to fitment. Not being fussed about colour coding the lip, I decided I'd do it matt black myself, seeing as it'll probably need touching up a few times in its life, this makes repairs much easier and less costly.

So, to start, it was a trial fitment. Have to say, this is the best fitting bit af after market body kit I've ever had. A very slight tension in the part means it holds itself on perfectly. All the pre drilled holes line up with the stock stuff too, making fitment very very easy.

Then came the prep. Rubbed the part down with a fine grit pad to key the surface, following a clean with the surface cleaner wipes, along with tack pads.

We also fashioned hanging the lip from the garage roof using speaker wire and bungie cords :D

Then came 4 coats of plastic primer, another key with 600 grit paper, and the spraying begins.

Because it was so darn cold, we hurried the process with my wifes hair dryer (god forbid she finds out).

6 coats in all and shes all done,

I've not got any good pics of it fitted yet as it got a dark, they'll come later. For now these'll do.

Noice Dan :) New Eleanor style grilles as well?

Yup, got them last month with the tribar badge.

From what i can see on the pics it looks good, surprised you didn't get it painted by a body shop to match the original paint though, being a splitter though I suppose it doesnt matter to much.

Being close to the ground, it'll get battered by stones etc etc. Spraying myself means I can repair it myself much cheaper. I saw another one in the states with a matt front lip, and though it made it stand out, like an additional splitter, rather than part of the bumper.

That's lovely mate and good job.

Cheers mate.