The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help on a work vehicle

Ricky49

Im after a bit of help and advice on what vehicle to get as Im looking to set up my own electrical and plumbing company.

Im not wanting a long wheel base, Hi top/ Cube panel van. Im wanting decent load space, diesel, quite nippy. Im looking to raise about 8k for the vehicle.

My short list at the moment is

VW T5 SWB

Nissan Navara

Toyota HiLux

Any other sensible options welcome

If you're doing plumbing, make sure you get something you can put a few 3mtr bundles of tube inside, copper theft from roof racks is rife. Pickups are useless for plumbers IMO, the VW is the only one I'd consider if I were a plumber.

I will also need it for conduit and 4'' soil.

4" soil should be fine on a roof rack. Get as big a van as you can comfortably live with would be my advice. Also, make sure you've got somewhere safe and easy unload it into.

Im not a fan of big vans even if it makes more sense to have one. An LWB T5 is as big as I would like to get but would prefer a SWB

Recommend the VW transporter, their a great van but you will need a LWB to get 3 mtr length in. The LWB is not as long as other LWB vans and with a 20-25'000 mile service intervals their very reliable. I run 4 of these vans doing around 30'000 miles a year each and have only had to get one recovered due to breakdown in 3 years.

If you want nippy you need the 2.5 174 as its an animal but it will eat tyres if your not careful!:innocent:

The newer facelift T5 has a 2.0 engine for emissions and although its a 180 it's no where near as fast as the 174.:)

Recommend the VW transporter, their a great van but you will need a LWB to get 3 mtr length in. The LWB is not as long as other LWB vans and with a 20-25'000 mile service intervals their very reliable. I run 4 of these vans doing around 30'000 miles a year each and have only had to get one recovered due to breakdown in 3 years.

If you want nippy you need the 2.5 174 as its an animal but it will eat tyres if your not careful!:innocent:

The newer facelift T5 has a 2.0 engine for emissions and although its a 180 it's no where near as fast as the 174.:)

Cheers Steve, I liked yours that you brought to the last meet. Whats servicing cost like.

Cheers Steve, I liked yours that you brought to the last meet. Whats servicing cost like.

Cheers, Mine is a facelift 2.0 180 and I got a little carried away when ticking the optional extras list!:D

VW charge around £200 for an interim service which i didn't think was that bad but if you start needing other stuff doing they charge a fortune so I generally send them elsewhere or do it myself and just use VW to stamp the book.