The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Porsche 996/997 - views/advice from owners

ellis

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snap - we picked the same one. Thought the same - lived on a race circuit, driven by Joe Public - hard life I'm betting.

Not sure. On the track days I have been on the car has been reasonably well driven. 21K miles is low, but I think I would rather have 40k worth of general road driving by some middle aged gent or woman.

Defo getting one before I am 40 though. They ooze class, just like me..!!

H.

I looked at getting a 996 at one point, my advice is to avoid the pre-facelifts like the plague as they have major crank seal issues which can result in a need for a new engine(which is why they are so cheap).

Many owners once the clutch needed replacing with have also done the RMS. Im not sure if the Carerra RMS was updated like the Boxster, however either way im pretty sure the RMS would show signs of failure every 50k. I bow to those with greater knowledge but it should show signs of leaking before it fails I think?

Nope. General issues such as gaps in service history, major service due, 12 owners, something mechanically wrong or even a number of things wrong. Its where the PPI becomes your very best friend. Expect to spend at least 3K after purchase. That being said, you may get lucky but its very unlikely.

Same sort of Story with any car advertised at the bottom end of the market. Trouble with porka's is they cost a lot more to repair than other marques.

the rms is just a seal and not that much of a problem tbh, its the ims issue thats the problem and it was not fixed in the 997! they have failures too, there is an indi porsche guy here in northern ireland, there is one thing about him, he tells it how it is! he has ' fixed both 996 and 997 ims failures and thats generally a new engine!' milage and the way they are drove have generally nothing to do with failures either, if your gona get a porsche go for a turbo! they have no real engines issues, well none that cant be fixed without needing a new engine! all im saying is do a LOT of research.