The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Porsche 996/997 - views/advice from owners

ellis

PS - Facelift in 02. Minor changes, mainly headlights (non fried egg) and glovebox. The Turbo stared in 2001 and the facelifts were based on the turbo. The Turbo was also facelifted in 2002 which included some of the other lifts such as the glove box.

The fried Eggs can be easily modded if you go for a pre facelift.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shopping list so far:

Colour: Black or Gunmetal Grey (Silver if it has Aeropack!)

Model: 996 C4S Widebody

Transmission: Either (need to drive both)

Year: Preferably facelift (2002 onwards)

Interior: Black leather

Extras: Aeropack or GT3 Kit

Wheels: GT3 or Turbo wheels

Checks: Porsche PPI for sure!

This is great for the colour, spec, wheels etc: C4S Widebody

And another (no Aeropack on this though) C4S Widebody 2

Still reading through the PDF guides.If anybody else wants copies of them, PM me with your email address and I'll send them over - collecting a few now.

Thanks to those who have given advice so far - much appreciated. :)

Both those cars are tidy looking examples. Is your heart set on a 911? I'm a bit of a BMW man, but e90 m3 (413 bhp), e60 m5 (510bhp V10) and the m6 (510bhp V10), could EASILY be had for your kind of budget.

All of them are much quicker than the Porsche. Don't get me wrong ive driven a 997 911 Carreras 2s, lovely to drive, but it didn't blow me away.

The above might not have quite as much snob value, but they will be more reliable and less likely to incur major service bills.

E90 M3 or even the 335i (possibly an Autovogue styled one!) have been on my Hit List but I've loved 911s since I got my first Matchbox car when I was 5 (a brown Turbo model which I still have) and I've always said I will have a 911 before I get too old! And it's not about speed or snob value, as with all the cars I've ever bought, I buy what I personally like or want. I was called all sorts when I had my E36 325 Coupe and then the E46 330i coupe and worse still since I've had 3 Supras but cars are intensely personal to me. Aesthetics rather than balls-out performance is my first priority and I'm hoping that setting myself so much time to learn and find good examples (as well as save) will spare me finding a lemon. Time will tell though! A year's a long time - anything could happen between now and hen.

Autovogue E90: Sweeeeet!

Don't dismiss the Sport Classic wheels. My brother had them on his black C4 with the Aeropack. Looked really good.

Ps posted the article today.

Many thanks!! Already building up a nice folder of research!

I do appreciate you sending that over though, hugely appreciated.

Perfectly understandable Ellis! They're lovely looking cars! It's always nice to tick a dream car off your list aswell! With all the research you're doing you'll definitely find yourself a minter! :thumbs:

Let's hope so! I need a very busy year at work to fund this. Perhaps I'll just decide not to pay the Tax Man next year instead!

as long as you have about 10k of a backup fund youll be fine! lol

my c4s widebody that i owned 3 odd yrs ago

ps porsche do a 127 point inspection (think thats it) health check and years warrenty for about 1.5k (but be sure when they are going over it you will be using your plastic friend as they always find a few things that need doing b4 you get that yrs warrenty!!!)

my advise is if you are thinking of a 996 or 997 get a turbo (all versions of the m96 NA engine have documented ims failures and no one knows accurate % rates!), was hoping to pick one up this week myself but went on hols and the one i was after was sold :-((

Both those cars are tidy looking examples. Is your heart set on a 911? I'm a bit of a BMW man, but e90 m3 (413 bhp), e60 m5 (510bhp V10) and the m6 (510bhp V10), could EASILY be had for your kind of budget.

Jesus, how cheap are M6's already?!

I too have been looking at 996 Turbo's, but there's something very tempting about a 5l V10!

• 2 weeks later...
as long as you have about 10k of a backup fund youll be fine! lol

my c4s widebody that i owned 3 odd yrs ago

ps porsche do a 127 point inspection (think thats it) health check and years warrenty for about 1.5k (but be sure when they are going over it you will be using your plastic friend as they always find a few things that need doing b4 you get that yrs warrenty!!!)

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/cossers/pLarge.jpg

my advise is if you are thinking of a 996 or 997 get a turbo (all versions of the m96 NA engine have documented ims failures and no one knows accurate % rates!), was hoping to pick one up this week myself but went on hols and the one i was after was sold :-((

That's a very nice example, very nice.

From the reading I've done so far the IMS failure rate 'seems' to be between 5 and 10% but there are no really accurate figures. Seems that the 3.4L cars (pre-2002) seem to have the largest problem. Post 2002 cars (3.6L) seem to have faired better.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm actually starting to think an early 997 might be a better idea - I do prefer the look of the front over the 996! And prices are heading south now the 991 has arrived.

I would go 997 all day Ellis. Younger car with less of a reputation for faults. There are certain cars that are now a silly amount of sports car for the money. 997's, M6, R35, Aston Martin V8's are looking a bit of a bargain too.