The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Honda S2000

JustGav

I accepted delivery of an S2000 today for a while to test it out....

Needless to say I'm completely and utterly unimpressed by the car, for the cost of the car I found it very lacking... Now admittedly I have been spoilt in driving a few high power supras...

I found the car to be very twitchy even at low speed...

Scary things is, without trying to sound like Clarkson... the only good things I've found so far on the car are....

1. HID headlights..

2. Nice Digital dash display

3. Engine sounds nice when you rev it to 9000 RPM

Bad things..

1. Twitches badly, not even good for drifitng, while you can get it step out nicely, it fishtails when you bring it back in again

2. Very small inside, and this is coming for someone small like me

3. Radio access is ACROSS the gear level

4. Very low power, supposed 240bhp

5. Steering wheel doesn't adjust

6. Engine start button activates the starter even when the engine is running

Just wondering if anybody else has driven one of these things and thinks if I'm just been picky because I've been spoilt by driving supras.

Gav

Took one out for a testdrive when I owned a Prelude 2.2Vti.

I was dissappointed by the lack of torque low down and in the mid range (this was when i owned a prelude, remember)

In order to get anywhere you had to really rev the crap out of the engine, and I found that tiresome in london.

Interior was cramped and basic.

Handling was awesome.

Gearbox was sublime

Grip is dry was fine

Steering was precise.

engine was mental.

not for me though.......

did I mention...this was when I had a prelude :)

I wouldn't class it as rapidly quick, it does shift...

And as pointed out for an NA engine, 240bhp out of a 2l is impressive, but it is a car you have rag the backside out of to get anything out of it...

Ah well, thank fully it is going back soon...

Gav

Yeah, a mate of mine bought one recently and loves it. I like the way they look & sound at 9000 rpm, but it didn't do a lot for me either in the performance stakes.

After a couple of turbo cars, there was no real feel that the car was getting any faster, except a bit of a surge at 6000. I'm definately far more interested in torque than power. My way of looking at it is the torque indicates the sensation of how fast a car is, the power just indicates how long that sensation lasts for. I've been put off buying N/A cars as they just don't 'feel' fast, even if they are.

Decent diesels these days can produce a lot of grin-factor when booted, it just doesn't last very long - would love to try a BMW 535d

J

Well thats the whole idea about VTEC isnt it? If driven flat out they're very fast cars, if you're in the wrong gear or going up hill you need to be in that redline otherwise it'll feel totally gutless.

My m8 had one for a couple of years, I liked it a lot, bit noisey though.

Driven my mates S2000 a couple of times, like everyone has said you do have to rev the tits of them to get any performance and they do sound good.

Was also quite impressed with the way it handled in the dry, not my cup of tea though, get one supercharged and would probably be a bit more interesting :D

I went up against one of these at Santa Pod, at the time I knew nothing about them and thought to myself it might be a close one (going on looks and what i've read about them). He pulled about a foot in front of me off the lights for about a second then........see ya - i pulled sooo far infront it was embabarrasing. I could actually see him in my rear view mirror crying !

very satisfying !

from my mate the S2000 driver :

Haha.. very good..

They don’t have shit handling .. the handling is spot on.. It just makes no compromise.. i.e no dialled in understeer for Muppets.

It’s a proper sports car that’s not designed for people that cannot drive.. it’s a true racecar.. and if you drive it stupid you will crash (where as other

Cars will let you get away with it).

But even ‘no compromise’ decided that with too many people trashing them that true race car handling wasn’t designed for the street so softened the back end.

Comparing a Supra to a s2000 is a bit stupid.. on the straights of course the supra will win.. but on the twistes and the track the s2000 is far quicker, especially on tight tracks

Where you will get caught off boost and stuff..

They do and will take quite a bit of getting used to.. really you should take it on a track and see what it can really do.. it surprised me, a lot quicker that more expensive machines.

Supra is a drag car

S2000 is a race car.

(in standard form)

he's just aded this :

Oh and you can post this too:

Twitches badly, not even good for drifitng, while you can get it step out nicely, it fishtails when you bring it back in again

It balanced 50/50 so it won’t.. get a 200sx for that.

2. Very small inside, and this is coming for someone small like me

True.. sung and you feel part of the car.

3. Radio access is ACROSS the gear level

Nope.. look to the right, keep your hand on the wheel and you can still sort out the radio.

4. Very low power, supposed 240bhp

Need to rev.. used to turbos.. so torque is missing, but it does go.

5. Steering wheel doesn't adjust

No need really.. but yes..it can be a pain.

6. Engine start button activates the starter even when the engine is running

True.. never worked that one out

Also I’ve tracked mine a couple of times, and it is fast.. Even the last instructor (he was a race champ in the 80’s in something or other) was well impressed how quick it was, (not straight line) but round the fun curvy bits, and he drove a CSL.

And im not even going to start on the person who mentioned it inside looks basic.. come on.. look at the 80’s interior on the supra.. those dials.. honestly.. J

Comparing a Supra to a s2000 is a bit stupid.

Wasn't directly comparing them... was just curious in other people's view...

Having taken it out in the dry today, it is a bit better on the handling side, so not as twitchy, but still didn't impress me much...

on his behalf again ...

Yes there is a bolt on supercharge (+100bhp) that can be fit in a few hours. (4K)

Or you can turbo, but this really needs to be setup well.. or bang. L

Some people have like 500+ running through the back wheels.. and that is quick.. I think

It beat a nitrous viper..