The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Couple of question for the dog lovers/owners.

Kirk

Nah, she's a dog, one that's still quite a primitive breed with strong hunting and guarding instincts. Hell, a sheepdog has strong hunting / killing instincts, they have just been carefully channelled by mankind to do a job of working by allowing the thrill of the chase without an end kill. Either reason with her (good luck... ;) ) , pack leader "direct" her, or if she's still not listening, shock collar her out of it. MUCH easier to sort it straight away than after she's caught a few and found it thrilling enjoyable and maybe tasty ;) That's just my take, we have eleven dogs here, just one has a tendency to chase our livestock. That one is living under a real threat of lead in its ear, and it knows it, so is behaving at the moment ;)

It won't be the food, they're not clever enough to associate one with the other. We've fed plenty of dead (still warm sometimes) rabbits to Loki, yet he still looks at live jumping ones with confusion, it's the chase and the kill that they learn to love not the taste.

If Loki or Kaiya chased and ate a rabbit I wouldn't be too bothered, free food at the end of the day, they don't go near proper livestock and I know it wouldn't progress to people or anything like that, Akitas are more of an attacking breed though so it's up to you, you know her best, if you trust her and have good control in all other aspects then don't worry too much.

Hey,

We have a 5 month old American Akita Male :) From otehr owners who we've seen and spoken too, when they are ready to shed they blow the coat whilst brusing, my god the hair comes off in clumps and a lot of it! Youtube has some vids too. Regarding the hunting, ours only stalks when he's playing with his Boxer friend :)

D

It won't be the food, they're not clever enough to associate one with the other. We've fed plenty of dead (still warm sometimes) rabbits to Loki, yet he still looks at live jumping ones with confusion, it's the chase and the kill that they learn to love not the taste.

If Loki or Kaiya chased and ate a rabbit I wouldn't be too bothered, free food at the end of the day, they don't go near proper livestock and I know it wouldn't progress to people or anything like that, Akitas are more of an attacking breed though so it's up to you, you know her best, if you trust her and have good control in all other aspects then don't worry too much.

This is the exact bit of feedback I've been after. :thumbs:

Thanks for your advice aswell Chris and everyone else. Everything has been taken into consideration so i'll see how she gets on :)