The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twin turbo with one bigger than the other.

HadeS

I see your design is slightly different, ie your using the exhaust gases instead of the charge air, but the theory of using a smaller turbo to get a larger turbo spinning is the same.

If you google compound charging there is lots of info available including the following article :-

http://www.motorsport-developments.co.uk/tech_articles/FAF307.tech.pdf

I can see the point of the compound system, and I can understand the reasons for a Mk4 Supra type sequential system where the second turbo is bigger than the first turbo, but the 1JZ has parallel turbos, and, other than a compound system, I don't see how two different sized turbos could work.

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

I can see the point of the compound system, and I can understand the reasons for a Mk4 Supra type sequential system where the second turbo is bigger than the first turbo, but the 1JZ has parallel turbos, and, other than a compound system, I don't see how two different sized turbos could work.

It's not, the sequential system wouldn't work if the turbos were different sizes.

I know (but I didn't express myself as clearly as I might have). :)

I meant a sequential system, like the Mk4, but with the difference that the second turbo is larger.

I meant a sequential system, like the Mk4, but with the difference that the second turbo is larger.

:yeahthat:

I wonder what you'd have to do to make that work. Probably too much for it to work with a slightly larger turbo, would be best to have a big single in place of the 2nd turbo, and remove all the bypass stuff linking them, so 1st turbo spools up as normal, bypasses at 2.5k to get the big single spooling then by 3.5k the 1st turbo can give up and all EGs go through the single. Bit of a hefty job though I'd imagine.